10235Re: [sig] request for feedback/collaberation-Rom vardo

  • Lente
    Jul 25, 2005
      I think I know the type of trailer you're talking about, one thing I can
      recomend is if your trailer has small odd size tires and wheels get a couple
      of spares to have in all your travels, they are a pain to find in the back
      of beyond. Yes we have had to try and find one--irony is that we had to do
      this on a sunday 40 miles from home. Tape all the wiring up good to the
      frame as it will catch on every thing...weeds, grass, like I said
      everything. Mount the license plate up on your back section having it hang
      off the bottom of the frame just means you will end up straightening it
      after every parking lot in and out.

      Weight wise I can't tell you much but we pulled our plain trailer fully
      loaded (3-4ft high), with a '98 subaru outback wagon (the bigger one) for
      several years to events within 300 miles of us. We have since traded in the
      subaru on a full size truck, having a kid changed how we could pack and now
      2 kids changed it even more.

      Here's a page with links to a bunch of vardos people have made, from the
      large to the small, even the sites for wagons for sale are interesting to
      look at for ideas. http://www.enslin.com/rae/gypsy/camps.htm

      Someday my lord wants to try and build a mobile yurt...OH boy!

      Kathws
      not in the vardo collective but would love to see the plans, more like we're
      in the yurt collective...

      Sent: Monday, July 25, 2005 9:34 AM
      > Hi There!
      > I have a 4 banger Saturn and I've always loved and
      > admired the vardos at Pennsic, but have been
      > restricted by haulinng limitations of my "one horse"
      > draught vehicle. So, I had an idea....
      > Why not use the most applicable of the vardo ideas
      > to make a "one horse" vardo? So, the Saturn got a
      > trailer hitch at U-haul and I bought a lightwieght
      > half ton trailer at Harbor Freight Tools last week and
      > assembled Saturday with a buddy. The foldable model
      > for easy storage in my garage....
      > My problem is this, I have a plan that looks good
      > on paper but I'd like to run it past those members who
      > have joined the "Vardo Collective" and shamelessly
      > glean the advantages of thier experiences and advice.
      >
      > And of course, there will be an article for a
      > future SLOVO.....so I was thinking collaberation?
      > Maybe on a series detailing vardos of various sizes
      > from single draught like mine to multi-draught, like
      > some of the others?
      > So, if anyone has a moment, maybe we could chat
      > about it, online, at Pennsic, at the SIG
      > meeting.....over a beer or some other potable? I'm
      > looking forward to joining the Collective, as this is
      > obviously the wave of the future and just pretty damn
      > sweet!
      > Cheers,
      > 'dok
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic