10208Re: [sig] kerchiefs

  • Stephanie Ross
    Jul 12, 2005
      Ah, I get it! The "kerchief" mentioned by Fletcher is a generic term for a head wrap, while the Russians wore a specific type of scarf wrapped in certain styles. I know that the Vikings are often depicted in kerchiefs and that is erroneous, since carvings and jewelry show long headwraps. I was just hoping that maybe the late 1500's might be the time that "babushkas" started being worn, instead of the 1800's, and Fletcher's observations could be taken at face value. Oh well, nice thought....

      Nadya

      [Clip your posts. Moderator]
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic