Re: [sierrafox] Hello from the 23 Division!

  • Michael James
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
      Hello Wade,

      His call sign was 2SF4211 - Chris from North Central Florida, between Gainesville and Jacksonville.
      He was using a Galaxy Saturn with a Proton PT99 30' Feet up.
      Contact Made: February 20, 2009 at 1655 EST on 27.515 with a 9+ dB Signal on his side, I was getting about 8 or so dB from him in Jamaica, W.I.

      If you would like a copy of the QSL card forwarded to you just let me know.

      Hope we will talk on 11 Meters soon, Wade. Conditions are starting to get better down here (got some from Arizona, Texas, and Florida a few days ago)

      I'm using the ATAS-120 Antenna (Mobile Auto-Tune Antenna) for the base, However I'm in the process of building a Sigma 4 Antenna with another operator which should be done in a week from now, This should give me some better Receive / Transmit coverage for DX.

      73's

      23SF363

      363 - Local Call Sign

      Michael

      On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 12:17 PM, Wade Smith <wade99@...> wrote:

      Hello Michael:

      You said that you made contact with an operator named Chris.  What was his call sign and location?  I haven't made contact with Jamaica in years.

      Wade(2SF009)

      SIERRA FOX DX GROUP:http://sierrafox2.tripod.com/index.html
      THE MUD DUCK SITERING: http://wade99.tripod.com/index.html
      SOONER CB NET RING: http://soonercb.tripod.com/index.html
      Q5 11 METER RADIO TOP SITES: http://q5topsites.tripod.com/index.html
      11 METER RADIO BANNER EXCHANGE: http://wade.250free.com/index.html
      2SF009: http://www.freewebs.com/2sf009

      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
        Wow! great to hear of some DX in this low to no sunspot age.

        Tight lines,

        Robert, 2SF1965

        ************ ********* ********* ********* *****

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
          I'm on 27.420 LSB today, Got some activity but not much.

          over on 27.515 we had a lot of conditions from Florida, Georgia, Texas, Virginia, and also some stations from South America and Mexico. It's great to hear some activity on the 11 Meter band.

          ...Back to the rig and I'm going to call a CQ-DX and see if Eagle One can copy with the conditions we have today ;-)

          -73's

          23SF363 - Jamaica, W.I. (23 Division)

          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
            I'll make sure to have my radio on to 27.515 tomorrow.  I hope to make contact with you.

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 2, 2009
              That's great, Wade!. Conditions have been good so we may be able to make contact.

              I'm active on 27.515 in the afternoon until usually about 8:30 PM. "363" or "23SF363" are my 2 call signs used on 27.515 LSB.

              -73's

              23SF363
              363

              -Michael

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 3, 2009
                I just turned on my radio to 27.515 lsb.  I'll be there off and on all day on the base and mobile.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 4, 2009
                    I left my radio on 27.515 lsb all day long and didn't hear anybody.

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 8, 2009
                      Hello!

                      I just removed the ATAS-120 Mobile Antenna from the Base Station  /  QTH.

                      Now I have a Sigma 4 vertical on the roof, Lot's more gain and power with this Antenna!
                      I will be on 27.420, 27.515, and 27.555 tomorrow, Hope we have some conditions to really test this new setup.
                      The Sigma was not commercially manufactured, This is a home-brew sigma 4 =)

                      Message 10 of 12 , May 31, 2009
                        --- In sierrafox@yahoogroups.com, "dx_23sf363" <James4363@...> wrote:

                        > Hello,
                        >
                        > I'm from the 23 Division, Jamaica. I run a Yaesu FT-857 with a
                        > ATAS-120 Antenna mounted on a 20 Foot mast on top of a 50 Foot
                        > building (at sea level only a few hundred feet from the ocean) so it
                        > works good for skip talking (I made contact with Chris on 27.515 a few
                        > days back, great signal on both sides)
                        >
                        > Will have to post some pics soon.
                        >
                        > 73's
                        >

                        > -23SF363 - Jamaica, West Indies

                        Hello Wade!

                        I'm stateside for a few weeks, I have a old President Uniden and a Superstar SS-36 going as my base radios, I'm running off a 15 Foot vertical (3 foot mast, 12 foot fiberglass whip)

                        I will be on 27.420 LSB today, east coast around new jersey!

                        The superstar pushes 4 watt dead key and 20 swing.
                        The president uniden is 4 watt dead key and 15 swing.

                        maybe I will be lucky and get to work someone while stateside.

                        I need to get the radios out to a tech for a "checkup" but they seem to function fine to start with...

                        I have a 1-pill messenger that will be here in a few days (5 or 6) from a friend in CA.

                        Hope to hear from you! God Bless!