Re: [sierra_wilderness_radio] Welcome to John, KF7OM!

  • john gabbard
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 26, 2012
      Hi Petr and the group,
          Thanks very much for the welcome,nice to be with the group again. Have a great day.
                            72' Jojn KF7OM

      On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 1:20 AM, Petr <indians@...> wrote:

      John,

      welcome to our group!

      John is looking for another Sierra in an unfinished or nonworking condition to repair and operate, this is one of his favorites he has.

      Good luck John,

      73 - Petr, OK1RP

    • ok1rp
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 25, 2013
        John,

        welcome to our group and hope that You will enjoy it over here.

        Good luck,

        73 - Petr, OK1RP
      • John Gabbard
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 25, 2013
          Thanks Petr,
                I will just got another Sierra that needs a little tweaking but looks like a new one really nice 7 bands..
                       Merry Christmas to you and the group.
                                                             John  KF7OM

          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 4, 2014

             John,

            welcome in the group again.

            John would like to rejoin the group and he is in search of a Sierra with KC2 working or nonworking..

            Goodl luck,

            73 - Petr, OK1RP

          • John Gabbard
            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 4, 2014
              Thanks for the approval Petr,
                              This is a very good group and I enjoy talking to the members. Yes, I am looking to buy a Wilderness Sierra if one is available, I  sold my last one and would
              like to find one with problems so I can restore it.
                              Thanks and have a nice day !
                                        John   KF7OM

              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 13

                John,

                welcome over here again.

                John just acquired another Sierra so he is joining us again.

                Good luck and see you on the air.

                73 - Petr, OK1RP

              • John Gabbard
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 13
                  Thanks for the approval Petr, I really got lucky this time and traded another radio for a Sierra which has all bands, just the 18Mhz. module needs to be assembled. Its nice to be a member again, at 81(July) its like a birthday with the Sierra on the way.
                                           Thanks and Best Regards to you and the Group.
                                                           John KF7OM   (NV).
                • Wayne Burdick
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 13
                    Hi all,

                    It’s been about 20 years since I updated the Sierra design for Wilderness Radio. Sure is inspiring to hear that many of them are still in active use!

                    I designed the Elecraft KX2 as a replacement for the Sierra, and that’s what I now take on camping and hiking trips. But I still get the Sierra out once in awhile to marvel at the simplicity we achieved in those days.

                    73,
                    Wayne
                    N6KR

                    > On Jun 13, 2017, at 2:08 AM, indians@... [sierra_wilderness_radio] <sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                    >

                    > John,
                    >

                    > welcome over here again.
                    >

                    > John just acquired another Sierra so he is joining us again.
                    >

                    > Good luck and see you on the air.
                    >

                    > 73 - Petr, OK1RP

                  • Alex
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 13

                      Hi Wayne

                      I am thankful that you designed this marvelous rig, the simple elegance and basic controls

                      are what attract me to it, No complications and low current drain.

                      I scratch built 2 from the ARRL handbook with the Noga club mods and finally

                      obtained a Wilderness version.

                      I have little desire to invest in complicated high power transceivers and still enjoy this design

                      that you brought us.

                      73 - Alex (ex Vk2KR)

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 13
                        My pleasure, Alex. At the time I did the Sierra design, my primary goals were: all HF bands, very stable VFO, good sensitivity, and ultra-low current drain. Hence the band modules.

                        These days my son and I mix hiking/camping with radio, so I designed the KX2 for maximum convenience and minimum setup time: built-in battery, ATU, keyer paddle, and mic; all modes; 10 watts; and lots of DSP features like text decode/encode without a computer. This gives us more time for wildlife photography, climbing trees, catching lizards, etc.

                        Wayne
                        N6KR

                        > On Jun 13, 2017, at 8:55 AM, Alex aberkuta@... [sierra_wilderness_radio] <sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                        >

                        > Hi Wayne
                        >
                        > I am thankful that you designed this marvelous rig, the simple elegance and basic controls
                        >
                        > are what attract me to it, No complications and low current drain.
                        >
                        > I scratch built 2 from the ARRL handbook with the Noga club mods and finally
                        >
                        > obtained a Wilderness version.
                        >
                        > I have little desire to invest in complicated high power transceivers and still enjoy this design
                        >
                        > that you brought us.
                        >
                        > 73 - Alex (ex Vk2KR)
                        >

                        > On 14/06/2017 1:30 AM, Wayne Burdick n6kr@... [sierra_wilderness_radio] wrote:
                        >>
                        >> Hi all,
                        >>
                        >> It’s been about 20 years since I updated the Sierra design for Wilderness Radio. Sure is inspiring to hear that many of them are still in active use!
                        >>
                        >> I designed the Elecraft KX2 as a replacement for the Sierra, and that’s what I now take on camping and hiking trips. But I still get the Sierra out once in awhile to marvel at the simplicity we achieved in those days.
                        >>
                        >> 73,
                        >> Wayne
                        >> N6KR

                      • johnkf7om
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 13

                          Thanks to all who welcomed me, very nice, I appreciate it. I would like to share my good fortune with the group, out of the blue... a friend of mine acquired a Sierra with all the band modules and the KC-2, well we got to talking and he said he would like to swap it for my TS-4?? I had mentioned to him earlier, now , we are both happy! I have forgotten just how many Sierra's I have owned/ repaired in the past but I think I will hang on to this one ! at 81, I can still enjoy it in my rockin' chair!

                                               Best Wishes to all especially to N6KR for such a terrific radio !

                                                                                  Thanks, John   KF7OM