Re: [sierra_wilderness_radio] Welcome to Scotty, WA2DFI!

  • Scott Cowling
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2012
      Thanks, Petr!

      Got my rig on the way, can't wait to get it on
      the air in the next NAQCC sprint on February 15!

      73,
      Scotty WA2DFI

      At 20:56 2012-01-31 +0000, you wrote:

      >Scotty,
      >
      >welcome to our group!
      >
      >Scotty is interesting in this great qrp radio.
      >So I hope You will enjoy it over here Scotty.
      >
      >CU and good luck,
      >
      >73 - Petr, OK1RP

    • Richard Dodd
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 1, 2012
        Scotty,

        Did you buy the one on E-Bay or are you building one?  Saw one sold last night.

        (Either way, you will have fun.)

        73,

        Richard
        K4KRW

        Got my rig on the way, can't wait to get it on
        the air in the next NAQCC sprint on February 15!

        73,
        Scotty WA2DFI

        At 20:56 2012-01-31 +0000, you wrote:

        >Scotty,
        >
        >welcome to our group!
        >
        >Scotty is interesting in this great qrp radio.
        >So I hope You will enjoy it over here Scotty.
        >
        >CU and good luck,
        >
        >73 - Petr, OK1RP

      • Scott Cowling
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 1, 2012
          Hi Richard,

          Yes, I bought the one on eBay. From the
          description, I know where it came from. :-)

          I really wanted to build one, but the KC2 is no
          more and I wanted one of those. The one I bought
          has been sitting for some time, so I will get to
          clean it up a bit and maybe perform some more mods.

          I have an ATS-4B that I used in the NAQCC sprint
          last month, and while it is a great little rig,
          it is not designed to work very well as a contest
          rig (even in something as casual as the NAQCC sprint :-)

          Then the 160M sprint came along, and I realized
          that I don't have anything QRP for 160M. (Maybe
          for good reason, but that is another story...)

          I see from your QRZ bio that you have an ATS-3A.
          How does it compare to the Sierra? Ever use it in a sprint?

          73,
          Scotty WA2DFI

          At 13:57 2012-02-01 -0800, you wrote:

          >Scotty,
          >
          >Did you buy the one on E-Bay or are you building
          >one? Saw one sold last night.
          >
          >(Either way, you will have fun.)
          >
          >73,
          >
          >Richard
          >K4KRW

        • Richard Dodd
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 1, 2012
            Scott,

            Love the sprints!  NAQCC, SKCC and occasionally I'll participate in a flying pigs sprint.

            I have used the ATS-3A in a sprint.  But, I really enjoy having a tuning knob.  The up and down tuning buttons are just too slow for me.  I tend to hunt rather than hold a frequency.
            In addition, until recently I didn't have a good QRP power meter but I always suspected I wasn't getting a lot of output from my ATS-3A.  I recently built an OHR WM-2 and it confirmed what I suspected.  So, I really need to spend some time on the 3A and figure out why the output power is so low.  Doesn't seem to be a band module issue as the power is low on all bands.  So, I will probably be hitting that yahoo group soon for input.

            I also have an OHR-100A and a DD-1 that once belonged to a friend of mine who passed away.  I like to use the rig from time to time to remember him.  He was an avid QRPr and a very nice guy (Frank WB4OUF).  That is a very nice radio.  Of course, it is only one band (40m for me).  It also drifts a bit (especially when warming up).

            My 160m limitation is my antenna.  I need to work on that as I also missed the 160m sprint.  I do have the band module built though.

            The ATS-3A is a neat radio.  Steve designs some really great kits.  I wanted to buy a 4B when he sent out the last batch.  But, I have other things that are higher priority right now.

            I absolutely love my Sierra.  It was a great kit to build.  And once built, it has been great fun to use.  I love the band modules.  They really give you some band options.  I also love having 150kHz on the dial.  Everything on the radio works very well (especially the ABX control).  I think you will really enjoy your new radio.  Have fun!  Hopefully, I'll catch you sometime on the bands.

            For those watching this group.  The KC1 actually does work quite well.  So don't let the unavailability of the KC2 dissuade you from trying a Sierra.  Plus you could have some fun engineering your own solution.

            73,

            Richard
            K4KRW