Re: [sierra_wilderness_radio] 160 Meter Module Kit

  • Hank Greeb
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 10, 2011
      Check with the builders group at 4 states QRP club, WA0ITP
      <wa0itp@...> They have a deal with HandiHams, and might do
      building for people who aren't capable otherwise.

      72/73 de n8xx Hg

      On 12/10/2011 12:05 PM, AlfredR wrote:
      > I have the Wilderness Sierra with 80-40-30-20-15 modules and also have a 160 meter module kit unbuilt.
      >
      > I am unable due to physical problems to build any longer. Anybody have knowledge of someone who might build the 160 meter kit for a fee? Tnx Al W6JHO

    • Hank Greeb
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 10, 2011
        Checkl with the builders group at 4 states QRP club, WA0ITP
        <wa0itp@...> They have a deal with HandiHams, and might do
        building for people who aren't capable otherwise.

        72/73 de n8xx Hg

        On 12/10/2011 12:05 PM, AlfredR wrote:
        > I have the Wilderness Sierra with 80-40-30-20-15 modules and also have a 160 meter module kit unbuilt.
        >
        > I am unable due to physical problems to build any longer. Anybody have knowledge of someone who might build the 160 meter kit for a fee? Tnx Al W6JHO

      • Trey McFerrin
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 13, 2011
          OM,

          I would be glad to build the module for you for free on the condition that I can use if for a week before sending it back to you (I don't have the 160 module myself).  I have reasonable experience with kits and have built and tuned numerous Sierra modules already.  I can do you a good job.

          73
          Trey KJ4FDV

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 13, 2011
            Trey...........Gosh,  thank you for the offer.  Yes,  you can keep it for a month or so and use it if you like.

            I was first licensed in 1949 as DL4LQ in the Signal Corps in
            Germany,  using a 6V6-6L6 running 6 watts on 40/20 meters with a T2FD and BC 348Q receiver.  Had a ball...........wish I could have had the Wilderness back then!

            If you can give me a correct mailing address I will get the 160 module off to you ASAP.

            Thank you again Trey,  I really appreciate your offer..........73   Al   W6JHO

            I would be glad to build the module for you for free on the condition that I can use if for a week before sending it back to you (I don't have the 160 module myself).  I have reasonable experience with kits and have built and tuned numerous Sierra modules already.  I can do you a good job.

            73
            Trey KJ4FDV

            I have the Wilderness Sierra with 80-40-30-20-15 modules and also have a 160 meter module kit unbuilt.

            I am unable due to physical problems to build any longer. Anybody have knowledge of someone who might build the 160 meter kit for a fee? Tnx Al W6JHO

          • Robert Woish
            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 9, 2012
              If you still need it I'd be glad to do it for you for $20 plus return shipping. I'm a retired enginner and builder of over 200 kits. Check my site at http://radiowb3t.homestead.com/index.html

              Thanks,
              Bob, WB3T

              I have the Wilderness Sierra with 80-40-30-20-15 modules and also have a 160 meter module kit unbuilt.

              I am unable due to physical problems to build any longer. Anybody have knowledge of someone who might build the 160 meter kit for a fee? Tnx Al W6JHO

            • Alfred Rugel
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 10, 2012
                Thank you Bob,  however I have already gotten it built.   Appreciate your offer!  73   Al  W6JHO

                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 12, 2012
                  I am building the aforementioned 160 meter module for Al, who has a Sierra with a KC2 installed.  I don't have a KC2 in my Sierra and so am not familiar with the jumper arrangement for band edge recognition by the KC2.  The main Sierra manual says to refer to the KC2 manual regarding these wire jumpers.  Al has misplaced his KC2 manual, so would someone please check theirs for the 160 meter jumper arrangement?

                  Thanks
                  Trey KJ4FDV

                  Thank you Bob,  however I have already gotten it built.   Appreciate your offer!  73   Al  W6JHO

                  I have the Wilderness Sierra with 80-40-30-20-15 modules and also have a 160 meter module kit unbuilt.

                  I am unable due to physical problems to build any longer. Anybody have knowledge of someone who might build the 160 meter kit for a fee? Tnx Al W6JHO

                • richardk4krw
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 12, 2012
                    Trey,

                    I have a KC1. But, I would hope the settings would be the same. Those instructions say to jumper W3.

                    Richard
                    K4KRW

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 13, 2012
                      I'll go with W3 then.  Thanks Richard!

                      72 de KJ4FDV

                      I have a KC1. But, I would hope the settings would be the same. Those instructions say to jumper W3.

                      Richard
                      K4KRW

                      --- In sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com, Trey McFerrin <mrtman777@...> wrote:

                      > I am building the aforementioned 160 meter module for Al, who has a Sierra with
                      > a KC2 installed.  I don't have a KC2 in my Sierra and so am not familiar with
                      > the jumper arrangement for band edge recognition by the KC2.  The main Sierra
                      > manual says to refer to the KC2 manual regarding these wire jumpers.  Al has
                      > misplaced his KC2 manual, so would someone please check theirs for the 160 meter
                      > jumper arrangement?
                      >

                      > Thanks
                      > Trey KJ4FDV
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • flthompsonjr
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 14, 2012
                        W3 is correct.
                        Lee, WA8QFE

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 14, 2012
                          Thanks for the verification Lee.  Appreciate your looking.
                          Trey KJ4FDV

                          > I have a KC1. But, I would hope the settings would be the same. Those
                          > instructions say to jumper W3.
                          >
                          > Richard
                          > K4KRW
                          >
                          > --- In sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com, Trey McFerrin <mrtman777@>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I am building the aforementioned 160 meter module for Al, who has a Sierra with
                          > >
                          > > a KC2 installed.  I don't have a KC2 in my Sierra and so am not familiar with
                          > >
                          > > the jumper arrangement for band edge recognition by the KC2.  The main Sierra
                          >
                          > > manual says to refer to the KC2 manual regarding these wire jumpers.  Al has
                          > > misplaced his KC2 manual, so would someone please check theirs for the 160
                          > >meter
                          > >
                          > > jumper arrangement?
                          > >

                          > > Thanks
                          > > Trey KJ4FDV
                          > >

                          > > ________________________________

                        • Lee Thompson
                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 15, 2012
                            It was a good thing that I did look.
                            I found that although it worked great, the Xtal trimmer was never soldered when I built it years ago.
                            Lee, WA8QFE

                            To: sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com
                            From: mrtman777@...
                            Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 12:01:24 -0800

                            Thanks for the verification Lee.  Appreciate your looking.
                            Trey KJ4FDV

                            > I have a KC1. But, I would hope the settings would be the same. Those
                            > instructions say to jumper W3.
                            >
                            > Richard
                            > K4KRW
                            >
                            > --- In sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com, Trey McFerrin <mrtman777@>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I am building the aforementioned 160 meter module for Al, who has a Sierra with
                            > >
                            > > a KC2 installed.  I don't have a KC2 in my Sierra and so am not familiar with
                            > >
                            > > the jumper arrangement for band edge recognition by the KC2.  The main Sierra
                            >
                            > > manual says to refer to the KC2 manual regarding these wire jumpers.  Al has
                            > > misplaced his KC2 manual, so would someone please check theirs for the 160
                            > >meter
                            > >
                            > > jumper arrangement?
                            > >

                            > > Thanks
                            > > Trey KJ4FDV

                          • n7krn
                            Message 13 of 15 , Feb 25, 2012
                              Trey,
                              Haven't built one myself, but it reads "Jumper W3 must be installed on the 160 and 12 meter band modules" on page 23 (Appendix E). There is also this note: "... you should align all band module crystals to their exact marked frequency. Otherwise the KC2 display might be perfect on one band but up to several kHz off on another band."

                              73,
                              Fred N7KRN