Re: [sierra_wilderness_radio] Re: My aching fingers

  • Kelly E McClelland
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 9, 2011
      Michael et alia,

      Grrrrrrr! Lord willin' I'll be checking the module out on 17m and doing
      some aligning, etc with a couple friends checking my freq on their
      FT-817 since I don't have a 17m rig otherwise. Down side is Bob has to
      charge a bit extra for 17m because his original xtal stock is gone and
      the small order/low volume increased price gets added onto the price of
      the module. Hope we can keep interest high and product available on
      this great little rig, but it is a challenge with all the new digital
      stuff that's coming out.

      We invite all the Sierra owners to listen for the 300 member Polar Bear
      QRP group in our monthly outing all day Saturday. Normally we call CQ PB
      and it is not a contest, just an on air party for QRP portable ops. We
      have a great group and there are quite a few of us that run Sierras.
      We're all about beartennas and other beary interesting stuff. Grrrrrr.

      72,
      Kelly K4UPG

      On 11/9/2011 8:05 AM, ve3wmb wrote:

      > Good work Kelly !
      >
      > Should we expect to hear you on 17m in Saturday's PBMME (Grrrrrrrrr) ?
      >
      > I have been thinking that it might be time to purchase 17m and 12m
      > modules for
      > my Sierra since these bands have really improved in recent months.
      >
      > Michael VE3WMB / VA2NB

    • richardk4krw
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 9, 2011
        Kelly,

        I know how you feel. I have all of the band modules done except 160m. I was waiting for the shop to fix my car the other day. So, I brought the toroids with me and was winding them while I waited.

        Someone asked about it. I told them I was knitting a radio.

        Have fun!

        73,

        Richard
        K4KRW

        --- In sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com, Kelly E McClelland <kmacker@...> wrote:

        > Just wound 8- T37-6 toroids for the 17m band module. Ouch, my fingers
        > ache. Won't be long now!
        >
        > 72,
        > Kelly K4UPG

      • ve3wmb
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 10, 2011
          --- In sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com, Kelly E McClelland <kmacker@...> wrote:

          > We invite all the Sierra owners to listen for the 300 member Polar Bear
          > QRP group in our monthly outing all day Saturday. Normally we call CQ PB
          > and it is not a contest, just an on air party for QRP portable ops. We
          > have a great group and there are quite a few of us that run Sierras.
          > We're all about beartennas and other beary interesting stuff. Grrrrrr.

          <begin Shameless Plug for Polar Bear QRP Group>

          As a group we get out every month (and I do mean EVERY MONTH .. especially
          in winter) and operate QRP portable for a few hours close to the date of the full moon.
          Lots of Polar Bear's are now into SOTA so they combine that with the Polar Bear operating .. but mostly it is a very casual event .. certainly not a contest. Also worth mentioning that those who are not so mobile and can't easily get out to operate are still welcome to join the group and participate from home (its free BTW).

          The Yahoo group is called PolarBearQRP_Ops .

          </end Shameless Plug for Polar Bear QRP Group>

          I haven't decided what gear to bring Saturday so maybe I will take my Sierra out for a
          little exercise ;-)

          Michael VE3WMB

          P.S. Has anyone come up with an interesting, yet secure way to attach a couple of spare band modules inside the top lid of the Sierra ? I was thinking strategically placed "velcro dots" on the lid and modules but I am very open to other suggestions.