Re: [sierra_wilderness_radio] New file submitted - Digital Modes Software Waterfall as an Alignment Aid

  • Kelly E McClelland
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 17 7:23 AM
      Richard,
      Most interesting and I am very grateful that you shared this technique.
      I can put this to work on a couple other rigs too! Wahoo!

      73,
      Kelly K4UPG

      On 8/16/2011 11:25 PM, richardk4krw wrote:

      > Group,
      >
      > I needed to adjust my BFO setting so the ABX was not cutting out the
      > signal I was interested in. I found that digital modes software works
      > very well for this.
      >
      > Having benefitted from the knowledge and experiences of others here, I
      > figured this was a good time to give something back. I have written up
      > my experience and posted it in the files area. Any comments or
      > corrections would be appreciated.
      >
      > 73,
      >
      > Richard - K4KRW

    • Petr
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 17 7:57 AM
        Richard,

        really amazing job! Big congrats. You already inspired me to re-allign my Sierra although it works very good.

        I have one question...how or what did You aligned in ABX to reach great performance You mentioned please? I still have ABX issue when set it to narrow > big attenuation/loss dissapear sigs completelly.

        Thank You for idea.

        73 - Petr, OK1RP

        --- In sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com, "richardk4krw" <r_in_remac@...> wrote:

        > Group,
        >
        > I needed to adjust my BFO setting so the ABX was not cutting out the signal I was interested in. I found that digital modes software works very well for this.
        >
        > Having benefitted from the knowledge and experiences of others here, I figured this was a good time to give something back. I have written up my experience and posted it in the files area. Any comments or corrections would be appreciated.
        >
        > 73,
        >
        > Richard - K4KRW

      • richardk4krw
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 17 9:12 AM
          Petr,

          I have to answer this quickly. I'm sure I'll regret it :-).

          Basically, rather than:

          1. Getting the dial adjusted so the frequency is accurate.
          2. Peaking the receive adjustments on the band module.
          3. Adjusting the BFO to get the CW tone to your desired frequency (ex: 600 Hz).
          3. Ending up with the received signal not centered within the affected range of the ABX control.

          1. Get the dial adjusted so the frequency is close.
          2. Peak the receive adjustments on the band module.
          2. Set the ABX to minimum.
          3. Watch the waterfall and adjust the BFO to get the bandpass through the ABX filter centered on the frequency of the CW tone you want (the most energy makes it through the filter at 600Hz).
          4. Make adjustments (Maybe with the XTAL adjustment on the band module) to get the dial on frequency when the CW tone is where you want it.

          I need to play with this more. Hope this helps.

          73,

          Richard - K4KRW