Carrying the Sierra

  • n7krn
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 29, 2011
      Wondering how others are carrying their Sierra's while hiking or biking. I'm not planning to operate while moving. My current plan is to use a small, "belly bag" that I can wear on day hikes or toss in the backpack for longer treks. With it, I won't have to set the radio down while operating - keeping it cleaner and close to my eyeballs.

      I saw the picture w0rw posted of his nice shoulder bag. I plan to use some padding like he did around the rig and also have a large plastic bag at night to keep out the dampness.

      Any other thoughts?

      73,

      Fred - N7KRN
    • crivil64
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2011
        Hello Fred,

        I am still in the building process of my Sierra. But I am already starting to think about a good solution to bring my Sierra into the Wilderness. ;-)

        I'd like to have something rigid to protect my Sierra. You know, when we are hicking, sometimes, we can make a false move and fall. I certainly don't want my Sierra to hit the ground or rocks and damage it. This could happend by accident. This is why I am planning to have a rigid case, padded with foam inside.

        I have seen that some guys are using the Pelican Cases to put there QRP stuff. Thoses cases are also water thight. If you make a google search with, say KX1 and Pelican, you'll find some links and ideas.

        Chris

        VE2VAE

        --- In sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com, "n7krn" <n7krn@...> wrote:

        > Wondering how others are carrying their Sierra's while hiking or biking. I'm not planning to operate while moving. My current plan is to use a small, "belly bag" that I can wear on day hikes or toss in the backpack for longer treks. With it, I won't have to set the radio down while operating - keeping it cleaner and close to my eyeballs.
        >
        > I saw the picture w0rw posted of his nice shoulder bag. I plan to use some padding like he did around the rig and also have a large plastic bag at night to keep out the dampness.
        >
        > Any other thoughts?
        >
        > 73,
        >
        > Fred - N7KRN

      • grant vyborny
        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2011
          I've been using an old shave dop/kit, with the Sierra wrapped up in Bubble-Wrap; plenty of room for antenna, tuner, batteries, and all the band modules.

          Good luck, Grant

          On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 7:06 AM, crivil64 <christianvillemaire@...> wrote:

          Hello Fred,

          I am still in the building process of my Sierra. But I am already starting to think about a good solution to bring my Sierra into the Wilderness. ;-)

          I'd like to have something rigid to protect my Sierra. You know, when we are hicking, sometimes, we can make a false move and fall. I certainly don't want my Sierra to hit the ground or rocks and damage it. This could happend by accident. This is why I am planning to have a rigid case, padded with foam inside.

          I have seen that some guys are using the Pelican Cases to put there QRP stuff. Thoses cases are also water thight. If you make a google search with, say KX1 and Pelican, you'll find some links and ideas.

          Chris

          VE2VAE

          --- In sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com, "n7krn" <n7krn@...> wrote:

          > Wondering how others are carrying their Sierra's while hiking or biking. I'm not planning to operate while moving. My current plan is to use a small, "belly bag" that I can wear on day hikes or toss in the backpack for longer treks. With it, I won't have to set the radio down while operating - keeping it cleaner and close to my eyeballs.
          >
          > I saw the picture w0rw posted of his nice shoulder bag. I plan to use some padding like he did around the rig and also have a large plastic bag at night to keep out the dampness.
          >
          > Any other thoughts?
          >
          > 73,
          >
          > Fred - N7KRN

        • hortonstevenr
          Message 4 of 9 , May 6, 2011
            Fred,
            I carry mine in a small Pelican case. I fit the modules inside the radio. The Key, ZM-2 and battery pack beside it. Works great and there isn't much better protection for a radio than a Pelican Case.

            Steve W6EOD

            --- In sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com, grant vyborny <tuquerencia@...> wrote:

            > I've been using an old shave dop/kit, with the Sierra wrapped up in
            > Bubble-Wrap; plenty of room for antenna, tuner, batteries, and all the band
            > modules.
            >
            > Good luck, Grant
            >
            > On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 7:06 AM, crivil64 <christianvillemaire@...>wrote:
            >

            > > Hello Fred,
            > >
            > > I am still in the building process of my Sierra. But I am already starting
            > > to think about a good solution to bring my Sierra into the Wilderness. ;-)
            > >
            > > I'd like to have something rigid to protect my Sierra. You know, when we
            > > are hicking, sometimes, we can make a false move and fall. I certainly don't
            > > want my Sierra to hit the ground or rocks and damage it. This could happend
            > > by accident. This is why I am planning to have a rigid case, padded with
            > > foam inside.
            > >
            > > I have seen that some guys are using the Pelican Cases to put there QRP
            > > stuff. Thoses cases are also water thight. If you make a google search with,
            > > say KX1 and Pelican, you'll find some links and ideas.
            > >
            > > Chris
            > >
            > > VE2VAE
            > >
            > > --- In sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com, "n7krn" <n7krn@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Wondering how others are carrying their Sierra's while hiking or biking.
            > > I'm not planning to operate while moving. My current plan is to use a small,
            > > "belly bag" that I can wear on day hikes or toss in the backpack for longer
            > > treks. With it, I won't have to set the radio down while operating - keeping
            > > it cleaner and close to my eyeballs.
            > > >
            > > > I saw the picture w0rw posted of his nice shoulder bag. I plan to use
            > > some padding like he did around the rig and also have a large plastic bag at
            > > night to keep out the dampness.
            > > >
            > > > Any other thoughts?
            > > >
            > > > 73,
            > > >
            > > > Fred - N7KRN

          • ve3wmb
            Message 5 of 9 , May 7, 2011
              I can't say enough good things about Pelican cases. I have my K1 in a Pelican 1200 Case and I dropped it in the driveway last summer while packing the car (yikes). In spite of the case I was worried about internal damage from the shock but there were no problems whatsoever. Being paranoid I opened up the rig to check for possible cracks to PCBs, unseated accessory boards etc but all was well and the rig continues to function as it always did.

              Some people are turned off by the price but this is one example of "you get what you pay for" . The Pelican cases are totally bomb-proof and short of running over it with your car you should have no worries about damage to the rig while in transit in the case.
              The cost of a Pelican case is much less than the cost of a new radio ;-)

              Michael VE3WMB

              --- In sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com, "hortonstevenr" <hortonstevenr@...> wrote:

              > Fred,
              > I carry mine in a small Pelican case. I fit the modules inside the radio. The Key, ZM-2 and battery pack beside it. Works great and there isn't much better protection for a radio than a Pelican Case.
              >
              > Steve W6EOD

            • n7krn
              Message 6 of 9 , May 9, 2011
                Thanks Chris, Grant, Steve, & Michael for the great responses. I might just get one of those very nice Pellican cases - but for the trail, all of that great protection would take up a lot of space in the pack.

                A company called Powerport has some nice nylon radio packs, pouches, and harnesses. Specifically, their WorldPack II might be a good fit for the Sierra. Anyone tried one of these?
              • crivil64
                Message 7 of 9 , May 25, 2011
                  Fred, just another idea....

                  Yesterday, I was reading an old copy of "QRP Quarterly" magazine, and I came across an article that remind me your question.

                  It is in the Sping 2009 edition (Vol 50, number 2). On page 52, there is an article from Paul Signorelli, W0RW/pm. The title is "How to operate Pedestrian Mobile".

                  Paul have different setup, but one of his favorite, is a kind of cooler padded bag, with a shoulder strap, where he could fit his Sierra, baterry, tuner and everything else.

                  Maybe it could give you some idea. ;-)

                  Chris from Canada.
                  VE2VAE
                • crivil64
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 25, 2011
                    Just realise that Paul, W0RW, had posted pictures of his shoulder strap bag and setup in the photos section.

                    Sierra's owner is a small world. ;-)

                    Chris
                    VE2VAE
                  • n7krn
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 27, 2011
                      Chris - Thank you! I saw that article too and have seen his pics in the photo section. That's what convinced me to post the question here. I have a shoulder bag similar to that for my emergency go kit. With a couple changes I could include the sierra in that too.

                      For long hiking trips though, I'm still leaning towards a belly-bag or a front harness operating position. When I'm putting the miles on or climbing in rough terrain, it would be stowed on or in the backpack.

                      73,
                      Fred - N7KRN