Welcome to Christian, VE2VAE !

  • Petr
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 2011
      Christian,

      welcome to our Sierra enthusiasts group.

      My big congrats for Your passing the exams and getting quite new callsign! Welcome to the big family of ham radio friends!

      Christian is very interested in ordering and building a Wilderness Sierra QRP CW Transceiver. And he would like to see if this thing is as good as it seems. ;-) He would like to get some more info and details about this radio from real users.

      Good luck Christian,

      73 - Petr, OK1RP
    • crivil64
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 2, 2011
        Thanks Petr, :-)

        Yes, I just pass my ham licence, a week ago. I am now learning the morse code. I just need to get some more speed on receiving. Things are gooing well.
        So, I am now looking for my first radio, and I want to build a kit, for a CW QRP Transmitter.

        Since a couple of weeks, I am looking at what is available on the market, and I find the Sierra is the most interesting : not too complicated, or miniaturized, and with all the features of a very good transceiver.

        I mean, the Sierra offers a lot of features (multi-band option via switchable band-module, RIT, AGC, variable bandwith) despite the simplicity of the circuit design.

        The KC2 option is also something I want, not only for the frequency display, but also for the S-meter and Power-Meter it features, all this at a very fair price.

        I have to say that the fact that the KC2 option is now unavailable, is a bit like a cold shower to me. Does anyone knows a bit more about it ?

        Chris
        VE2 VAE
        Canada

        --- In sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com, "Petr" <indians@...> wrote:

        > Christian,
        >
        > welcome to our Sierra enthusiasts group.
        >
        > My big congrats for Your passing the exams and getting quite new callsign! Welcome to the big family of ham radio friends!
        >
        > Christian is very interested in ordering and building a Wilderness Sierra QRP CW Transceiver. And he would like to see if this thing is as good as it seems. ;-) He would like to get some more info and details about this radio from real users.
        >
        > Good luck Christian,
        >
        > 73 - Petr, OK1RP

      • crivil64
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 4, 2011
          Well, I guess that even without the KC2, the Sierra is still perfect for me.

          :-/

          Chris
          VE2VAE

          --- In sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com, "crivil64" <christianvillemaire@...> wrote:

          > The KC2 option is also something I want, not only for the frequency display, but also for the S-meter and Power-Meter it features, all this at a very fair price.
          >
          > I have to say that the fact that the KC2 option is now unavailable, is a bit like a cold shower to me. Does anyone knows a bit more about it ?
          >
          > Chris
          > VE2 VAE
          > Canada

        • grant vyborny
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 4, 2011
            yep, just talked with QrP Bob who confirms that he's sold out of the KC-2 and has about 25 Sierras left

            I think it may be my all time favorite, the Sierra, this is an emotional problem.  It would be fun to build a K-2 from scratch but then you'd have to develop or acquire the firmware for the µ-Processor/µ-Controller, another level of endeavor.

            keep the faith

            On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 8:53 AM, crivil64 <christianvillemaire@...> wrote:

            Well, I guess that even without the KC2, the Sierra is still perfect for me.

            :-/

            Chris
            VE2VAE

            --- In sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com, "crivil64" <christianvillemaire@...> wrote:

            > The KC2 option is also something I want, not only for the frequency display, but also for the S-meter and Power-Meter it features, all this at a very fair price.
            >
            > I have to say that the fact that the KC2 option is now unavailable, is a bit like a cold shower to me. Does anyone knows a bit more about it ?
            >
            > Chris
            > VE2 VAE
            > Canada

          • crivil64
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 6, 2011
              Thanks for the info Grant.
              Oh well... I will call them today and order my Sierra rigth away.

              I guess I can live without the KC-2.

              I will homebrew something for a more precise display of the frequency, probably something like G0UPL's tiny frequency counter, using simple leds displaing binary code, precise to 0.5 Khz.

              I am more concerned about a good S-meter. But for this too I will homebrew something, using dial or leds.
              I good old fashioned S-meter dial would looks good in place of the KC-2.

              I already have a Pico-Keyer.

              Thanks.

              Chris from Canada
              VE2VAE

              --- In sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com, grant vyborny <tuquerencia@...> wrote:

              > yep, just talked with QrP Bob who confirms that he's sold out of the KC-2
              > and has about 25 Sierras left
              >
              > I think it may be my all time favorite, the Sierra, this is an emotional
              > problem. It would be fun to build a K-2 from scratch but then you'd have to
              > develop or acquire the firmware for the µ-Processor/µ-Controller, another
              > level of endeavor.
              >
              > keep the faith
              >
              > On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 8:53 AM, crivil64 <christianvillemaire@...>wrote:
              >

              > > Well, I guess that even without the KC2, the Sierra is still perfect for
              > > me.
              > >
              > > :-/
              > >
              > > Chris
              > > VE2VAE
              > >
              > > --- In sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com, "crivil64"
              > > <christianvillemaire@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > The KC2 option is also something I want, not only for the frequency
              > > display, but also for the S-meter and Power-Meter it features, all this at a
              > > very fair price.
              > > >
              > > > I have to say that the fact that the KC2 option is now unavailable, is a
              > > bit like a cold shower to me. Does anyone knows a bit more about it ?
              > > >
              > > > Chris
              > > > VE2 VAE
              > > > Canada

            • crivil64
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 7, 2011
                This is it.

                My Sierra is ordered. And yes, QrpBob also confirmed me that the Kc2 option is not available anymore.

                I took 3 band (40m, 20, 15m). That is for the beginning. ;-)

                Chris
              • Petr
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 13, 2011
                  Christian,

                  I just checked the Wilderness Sierra web and on the KC2 pages is flashing "Available Now"... So check them maybe the kit is again reachable.

                  http://www.fix.net/~jparker/wilderness/kc2.htm

                  73 - Petr, OK1RP

                  --- In sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com, "crivil64" <christianvillemaire@...> wrote:

                  > This is it.
                  >
                  > My Sierra is ordered. And yes, QrpBob also confirmed me that the Kc2 option is not available anymore.
                  >
                  > I took 3 band (40m, 20, 15m). That is for the beginning. ;-)
                  >
                  > Chris

                • grant vyborny
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 13, 2011
                    Grant,

                    Sorry, the web site is incorrect. I can no longer obtain parts for the KC2.

                    73 de K6KK

                    QrpBob

                    robert dyer
                    Owner, Wilderness Radio