RE: [sierra_wilderness_radio] Sierra Wilderness for sale

  • James Rodenkirch
    Message 1 of 21 , Nov 28, 2009
      OK Lee.

      Jim R.

      To: sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com
      From: flthompsonjr@...
      Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 20:45:11 -0500
      Subject: Re: [sierra_wilderness_radio] Sierra Wilderness for sale

      James,
      I will buy it if no one else responds from the group.
      I have the one I built with 9 band modules and a K1, HW9, TT509, and others...
      Give it a week to find a owner then if not I'll take it....
      Lee, WA8QFE
      /9 in Indianapolis for a while.

      Sent: Friday, November 27, 2009 3:00 PM

      If you know someone who's interested in acquiring a Sierra I have one with 7 band modules (80,40,30,20, 17,15 and 10) for sale.  The rig includes the KC2 keyer, counter and meter as well.  I have the original tech manuals for both.

      No marks on the rig and it works fivers!!  The xmtr outputs from 3.5 to 4.5 watts out on 80, 40, 30 and 20 and 1.5 to 2 watts out on 17, 15 and 10.  The receiver works great and as I compare it to my older ICOM 735 I am amazed at how much more sensitive the Sierra is.

      I paid $300.00 for it about six months back and asking the same (shipping is around $15.00 via U.S.P.S. priority mail with confirmed receipt and insurance).

      Please contact me off-line at rodenkirch_llc2msn. com if interested.

      I'm selling it 'cuz I'm going to focus on my ATS-3B (adding a rotary encoder and going to another enclosure) for future Summits On The Air activation efforts.

      72, Jim Rodenkirch, K9JWV

    • Kathryn Bassett
      Message 2 of 21 , Dec 30, 2011
        I'd like opinions on value for this radio. I've no idea of it's worth as I
        don't do QRP, and I've seen prices from $300-$500. I got it from a deceased
        ham. I plan to list on eBay and need opinions on what I should start the
        bidding at. Do you need more info than what you can see in the photos, to
        give an opinion? If so, tell me exactly what you need to know and how I find
        the answer.

        N4EAT Ray asked if one was for sale, so I'm including you in this email.

        front
        http://bassett.net/freecycleandsale/hamradiostuff/sierrawildernessradio1.jpg
        back
        http://bassett.net/freecycleandsale/hamradiostuff/sierrawildernessradio2.jpg

        KD6KFA

        --
        Kathryn Rhinehart Bassett (Pasadena CA)
        "Genealogy is my bag" "GH is my soap"
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 8, 2012
          Since purchasing my Elecraft K2, my Sierra has been gathering dust. I
          built it in 1998 with the KC2 and 9 band modules. I modified the Sierra
          with the 4:1 transformer, NTE 342 final output transformer, 47V zener,
          variable power output control, and mods to the 17 meter to 10 meter modules.

          The modules include 160M, 2 80M modules 3.5 - 3.65 and 3.6 - 3.75, 40M,
          30M, 17M, 15M, 12M and 10M. There is no 20M module included. The 17 -
          10M modules have been modified by adding the "missing" C32 and C35 caps
          and replacing the stock trimmers with 3.5 - 20pF ones. This allows for
          much easier tuning of the bandpass filters on 17 - 10 meters. Power
          output varies from +/- 5W on 160 - 40, +/- 4W on 30 - 17, and +/- 3W on
          15 - 10M.

          The only drawback is that the upper latch on the right side of the top
          cover is missing. I'm sure QRP Bob at Wilderness Radio can provide one
          for a small cost. At one time I had a DL QRP mounted on the back panel
          and the mounting holes are still present. This is a plug and play radio
          and I aligned all band modules last week and checked the power output on
          all bands.

          Included in the package are the original manual and documentation on the
          mods and quite a few copies of emails from the old qrp-l list regarding
          Sierra mods. I will also include a hard plastic case that fits the
          Sierra and several band modules. I used the case to store the Sierra
          and carry it to the field for contesting. This is a lot of radio for
          the money. I am a professional electronics technician with over 40
          years in the field and built and maintained the radio in a very
          professional way. It has all the wiring underneath the top of the board
          and is a very nice looking rig.

          This package retails in kit form for $560. I will set it for $475
          postpaid in the continental US shipped via USPS Priority mail with
          insurance. I will ship worldwide for $500 First Class USPS. Paypal
          only accepted. If it doesn't sell by Tuesday, I will put it on ebay. I
          would prefer it go to a list member and I will not separate the
          package. First offer to buy at the full purchase via Paypal price takes it.

          Please reply off the list to w4dst@...

          Thanks and 72,

          Rick
        • Ray N4EAT
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 9, 2012
            I'd be interested in seeing pictures of the rig.
            Thanks

             73
            N4EAT Ray
             FISTS#11030, QRP ARCI #12619,

            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 9, 2012
              Can I see a few pics? Especially of the face and cabinet. Is it in good cosmetic shape?

              Thanks,
              Bob, WB3T

              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 14, 2012
                The Sierra is sold.

                Rick
              • Robert Woish
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 14, 2012
                  Thanks for letting me know. Hope you're feeling better!

                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 20, 2012
                    Back in December, I had the following query. My husband finally dug it out
                    and opened it up. The label inside says "module 7.0 mhz".

                    For pictures of it and other radio stuff we have for sale, see
                    http://bassett.net/freecycleandsale/hamradiostuff/
                    The Sierra is the last two pictures.

                    KD6KFA
                    --