Spot switch mod

  • kmcmindo
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 21 7:57 AM
      The Sierra manual briefly mentions a mod for a spotting switch.

      Has anyone done this? How did it work for you? Did you locate it on the back panel and just short a momentary switch to ground?

      Thanks for any advice/experience on this one.

      72,
      Kelly K4UPG
    • Ron Bowman
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 21 8:53 AM
        Hi Kelly,
        I did the spot mod. It is very loud, hits the AGC pretty hard. My ear was unable to match the tones due to this. I ended up putting in the Ramsey TD-1 kit and it seems to work better. I set the decode tone to the sidetone frequency. This enables me to be matched to the sidetone frequency when the LED blinks on receive. It doesn't blink exactly with a higher speed cw signal (>12 wpm) but enough to know that I am on frequency. I had placed the spot switch in the upper right hand corner of the front panel. The LED that I bought for the Ramsey kit fit perfectly there, in the same hole. I will post pics of the install tonight after I get home on my google page, and I will email the list when complete. I will also try to post some install notes. Hope this is of some help!

        Ron W8VZM

        --
        Regards,
        Ron Bowman

      • Kelly E. McClelland
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 21 9:13 AM
          Ron,

          Thanks! Great feedback and just what I was looking for on this one!

          I wonder if there is a way to attenuate the loudness?

          I have a Son of Zerobeat kit sitting and waiting to be built so I might go that route and make it moveable between a couple of my rigs by just putting in audio out chain.