Re: Field Day

  • jstoneback
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2009
      Hi John,

      I started out working QRPp with a pair of RockMites on 80 & 40m and was surprised how effective they were, working a number of stations up and down the east coast. Then I thought I'd see what I could do in the QRP ARCI Spring QSO Party. By the end of the contest I had 40 more QSOs and a WAS total of 27! It was that contest that lead me to buy the Sierra. Since getting the Sierra in April, I've added another twelve states for a total of 39 states worked QRPp, I added New Mexico, Monday afternoon. Well, 700 mw is just, what? Six dB down from 2.8 watts? :>)

      Jim K4AXF

      --- In sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com, "jshea_n4dsp" <n4dsp@...> wrote:

      > Good for you Jim!
      > I stayed at home and tuned around also on 20 and was very surprised how well the receiver performs in the midst of the qrm. Outstanding. No IMD. No overload. No nothing that the Sierra could not handle.
      > This little radio performs as well as my numerous big rigs I recently had and people who have never listened to this radio will think I am exaggerating.
      >
      > Congratulations on running your state totals up at 700mA! Nice goal.
      > What is the present WAS?
      >
      > Take Care Jim,
      >
      > john-n4dsp

    • dyarnes1
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2009
        Jim and All,

        Congratulations on your Field Day effort. The Sierra is a wonderful Field Day radio. Alas, I haven't used mine for Field Day for many years, but the ones I did use it on were really most enjoyable. Unfortunately, the Elecraft radios have gotten in the way, and I've gotten a tad lazy. My Sierra still needs a little tweaking, as the output is a bit puny. However, I've worked hundreds of stations with it, and it still fires up like a champ. Good for you!!!!

        Dave W7AQK