Re: Field Day

  • jshea_n4dsp
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2009
      Good for you Jim!
      I stayed at home and tuned around also on 20 and was very surprised how well the receiver performs in the midst of the qrm. Outstanding. No IMD. No overload. No nothing that the Sierra could not handle.
      This little radio performs as well as my numerous big rigs I recently had and people who have never listened to this radio will think I am exaggerating.

      Congratulations on running your state totals up at 700mA! Nice goal.
      What is the present WAS?

      Take Care Jim,

      john-n4dsp

    • kg8yt
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 30, 2009
        I took my Sierra and my portable vertical antenna, a St. Louis Express, to the local Field Day set-up. While all the other guys were fiddling with their rigs and making last-minute adjustments, I made three short QSO's before the event officially began. I had a speaker attached to the rig so that anyone who was interested could listen in. At first nobody paid much attention to me but, as I started my succession of QSO's, I started getting questions about my set-up and comments about how much fun it might be if they, too, were to try their hands at QRP/cw.

        As the event began, I had a 45-minute interval on 20 meters before the other guys started transmitting 1KW SSB to the beam directly above my head. In that time I made 11 confirmed contacts and was just beginning to get up to speed. The high-power SSB pretty well wiped out my receive capabilities, so I packed up. My operation must have made an impression, though, as I was singled out on two local nets as the other guys summarized the event. I may not have won anyone over to QRP yet, but my 2 watts attracted a lot of attention! And they were right: I was having a LOT of fun showing the skeptics the power of QRP. :-)

        72 de Bruce, KG8YT
      • jstoneback
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1 4:46 AM
          Hi John,

          I started out working QRPp with a pair of RockMites on 80 & 40m and was surprised how effective they were, working a number of stations up and down the east coast. Then I thought I'd see what I could do in the QRP ARCI Spring QSO Party. By the end of the contest I had 40 more QSOs and a WAS total of 27! It was that contest that lead me to buy the Sierra. Since getting the Sierra in April, I've added another twelve states for a total of 39 states worked QRPp, I added New Mexico, Monday afternoon. Well, 700 mw is just, what? Six dB down from 2.8 watts? :>)

          Jim K4AXF

          --- In sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com, "jshea_n4dsp" <n4dsp@...> wrote:

          > Good for you Jim!
          > I stayed at home and tuned around also on 20 and was very surprised how well the receiver performs in the midst of the qrm. Outstanding. No IMD. No overload. No nothing that the Sierra could not handle.
          > This little radio performs as well as my numerous big rigs I recently had and people who have never listened to this radio will think I am exaggerating.
          >
          > Congratulations on running your state totals up at 700mA! Nice goal.
          > What is the present WAS?
          >
          > Take Care Jim,
          >
          > john-n4dsp

        • dyarnes1
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1 7:20 PM
            Jim and All,

            Congratulations on your Field Day effort. The Sierra is a wonderful Field Day radio. Alas, I haven't used mine for Field Day for many years, but the ones I did use it on were really most enjoyable. Unfortunately, the Elecraft radios have gotten in the way, and I've gotten a tad lazy. My Sierra still needs a little tweaking, as the output is a bit puny. However, I've worked hundreds of stations with it, and it still fires up like a champ. Good for you!!!!

            Dave W7AQK