New owner questions

  • schmidtwilliam183
    Message 1 of 2 , May 31, 2009
      I am in currently in the process of upgrading on older Sierra that I bought with a KC2 and I have some questions before I start smoking solder fumes.

      1. Has anyone used the AUX output of the KC2 to control a LED panel light? How did you mount the LEDs, how many did you use and were the results worth it?

      2. Has anyone slowed down the tuning rate by putting a cap in series with the tuning cap? What value was used and how did it effect the bandwidth?

      3. How do velco strips work for module storage inside the case? Are they strong enough?

      4. How difficult is it to get at and adjust the module trimmer caps now that they are not accessible from above?

      5. To improve the output power is it better to change the driver choke to a 4:1 transformer, add an outboard PA (any suggestions other than the DL-QRP-PA) or reduce L5's impedance?

      On another note Bob just told me that there was a limited number of KC2s available since they are no longer making the LCD unit that he uses. So if you need one, act soon.

      Bill Schmidt,WV1N
    • querencias
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1, 2009
        Moderately difficult to adjust - QRP Bob recommended an offset screwdriver but I used a flexible plastic shaft driver with good results

        72 Grant / KT6L