Power output

  • Steven
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 3, 2009
      How can I ensure that I am producing the most output (QRP) with my
      Sierra? I noticed that I was producing 457mw on 14mhz and 250mw on
      28mhz. I am a novice builder and even worse at truly understanding
      schematics and knowing what a component does. I adjusted the XMIT BPF,
      and PMO BPF on the module. I was able to bring my output up to 2.1w on
      14mhz. Have not tried 28mhz yet. Without pulling components out or
      major mods that I am not yet capable of performing, how do I know I've
      done all I can? Very broad question, but thank you for any help.

      Steve W6EOD
    • Paul Signorelli
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 3, 2009
        Hi Steve,
        Let us know what your battery voltage was with your 457mW on 14 mHz...
        The Sierra will produce more power with higher voltage.
        Paul  w0rw

      • Steven
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 3, 2009
          Paul,
          It was 13.8v from a Radio Shack 3amp power supply. I saw what you
          meant about voltage when I used my Extech 382203 power supply. When I
          turned the voltage up prior to the adjustments the power increase was
          present but very minimal. When the voltage was at 14.5 I believe it
          was putting out 600mw or so. I haven't tried it since the adjustments
          on my Extech but I assume it will put out 2.5w maybe more. I use this
          rig portable off a 5amp/hr gel cell so 12.6v (aprox.) and below is
          realalistic in the field. Thank you for any guidance.

          Steve W6EOD

          --- In sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com, Paul Signorelli
          <w0rw1@...> wrote:

          > Hi Steve,
          > Let us know what your battery voltage was with your 457mW on 14 mHz...
          > The Sierra will produce more power with higher voltage.
          > Paul w0rw

        • Paul Signorelli
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 3, 2009
            There are kinds of modifications to improve the power output...See
            the "Files" section of this YG.
            http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/kOiISf0G-7aMuQuYcbEa-6G_HjJ57RP6B79-
            IWOL03l73NcfS3Kobq1G6G5HLShAha-Qb6zYFN7nzGBsO7VblEhRMg/SIERRA%20MODS.doc
            Common ones are changing L3 and L4 to 26T for 15M and Changing PMO C65
            from 1pf to 3pf.
            What method are you using to measure your power output?
            How is it calibrated?
            Paul w0rw
          • Steven
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 3, 2009
              I have a GC Electronics Pwr/SWR meter along with a 50ohm dummy load. I
              used a tiny screwdriver to adjust the capacitors on the band module.
              When I got my highest output of 2.1w I stopped. I also used my FT-817
              by transmiting into the dummy and listening with the Sierra to adjust
              the RCV BPF. I haven't quite got that one worked out yet. I am happy
              that my pwr output has more than doubled but I want to make sure that
              I'm not just halfway there. Any suggestions? Thank you for your help!

              <w0rw1@...> wrote:

              > There are kinds of modifications to improve the power output...See
              > the "Files" section of this YG.
              > http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/kOiISf0G-7aMuQuYcbEa-6G_HjJ57RP6B79-
              > IWOL03l73NcfS3Kobq1G6G5HLShAha-Qb6zYFN7nzGBsO7VblEhRMg/SIERRA%
              20MODS.doc
              > Common ones are changing L3 and L4 to 26T for 15M and Changing PMO
              C65
              > from 1pf to 3pf.
              > What method are you using to measure your power output?
              > How is it calibrated?
              > Paul w0rw

            • Paul Signorelli
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 3, 2009
                Hi Steve,
                Well tune for maximum.
                i assume you got 2.1W on 14 Mhz.
                i think that is good.
                i have a highly modified Sierra that has a Power Amplifier that puts out 5W.
                i could not find my original notes on the original power without the amplifier.
                2W is good...
                Go work the world...
                i got my QRP DXCC with my 5W Sierra on a dipole.
                Paul  w0rw

              • Steven
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 4, 2009
                  Paul,
                  Thank you for your time. This Sierra is my attempt to actually learn
                  what makes a radio work and how to adjust/fix/maintain it. So far so
                  good. Thanks again.