RE: [sierra_wilderness_radio] Sierra kit

  • Paul Signorelli
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 17, 2008
      Larry,
      My 160 meter module only has W3 jumpered..
      Try that..
      Send it to me and i will check it out..
      Paul  w0rw

    • Mike Lyness, AF4LQ
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 17, 2008
        larry_draughn wrote:

        > only get .7 watts out for Transmit seems a bit low.

        I don't have a 10m module to compare to but I did increase the output on
        20m by compressing, or squeezing the windings together on L6. May
        work with the 10m module as well.

        73, Mike
        af4lq
      • larry

            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 18, 2008
              Thanks Mike; By closing up L6 I was able to squeeze out a another .3 watt and up 1 watt thru the 10 meter band. 73 Larry AE4LD

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 18, 2008
                Hi Larry,
                i have the DL PA which gives me about 5 Watts output...
                Paul  w0rw
              • larry
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 18, 2008
                  Hi Paul, I'm not aware of a DL-PA is this a home brew component or a kit that can be purchased? need more info if possible, 73 Larry AE4LD
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 18, 2008
                    larry wrote:
                    > Thanks Mike; By closing up L6 I was able to squeeze out a another .3
                    > watt and up 1 watt thru the 10 meter band. 73 Larry AE4LD

                    You're welcome Larry. I'm glad it helped some.

                    You might try searching the QRP-L archives for more info. When I was
                    waiting for my kit to arrive I spent a lot of time searching there and
                    found a ton of useful information there. There's a ton of discussions
                    that dealt with mods for increasing power and a lot of other topics
                    regarding the Sierra. I know there was at least one discussion regarding
                    10 and 15m power output.

                    The URL is <http://www.kkn.net/archives/html/QRP-L/>. You'll need to
                    type in a username and password to access the archives. Use "qrpl" for
                    both. Then you'll be able to do a search on "Sierra" or whatever you like.

                    You'll also have the option of setting the search to display the results
                    in chronological order (or however you like), which is nice as it kind
                    of lets you follow the history of the Sierra and also makes the results
                    easier to follow.

                    Also, check the "Files" section here on this group, if you haven't
                    already. I think one of them deals with mods for increasing power.

                    Anyway, I hope you enjoy the Sierra. I just built mine about a month or
                    so ago and I'm really happy with it. Incidentally, Paul, W0RW who gave
                    you good advice here was one of my first contacts with it (Hi Paul! Tnx
                    QSO!).

                    Best of luck and I hope we meet on air one day.

                    73, Mike
                  • Paul Signorelli
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 18, 2008
                      You can read about the DL PA by Funk Amateur QRP Club here
                      http://qrp.kd4ab.org/2001/010129/0028.html
                      It is probably not available any more.
                      See my amplifier at
                      http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/sierra_wilderness_radio/photos/view/4f55?b=1&m=f&o=0