RE: Re: [sierra_wilderness_radio] RE: Welcome to David, KE6YX!

  • davidcuttler
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 19, 2013

      My Sierra arrived today, and I made my first contact with it on 30 meters. A fellow was calling CQ, and I answered, getting a 559 in Washington state which was 963 miles. I think that was a good first outing with it.

      We had a nice QSO until the band folded between us.

      My best so far was when I broke into a SSB roundtable on 40 meters running 5 watts. After everyone but one guy signed for the evening, I worked the other guy who was in a very low rf noise location, and kept reducing power until I was running 80mw. I computed it out to about 7,200 miles / watt. Not bad on sideband with a  wire dipole with loading coils.

      This is the most fun you can have in the standing or sitting position!

      Now on to building the KC-2 keyer, and more band modules.

      73 all,

      David

      --- In sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com, <sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Welcome David,

       This is a fine group and I am sure you will enjoy it as much as I do and also your Sierra, quite a nice radio.
                                                   John   KF7OM

      On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 4:18 PM, <davidcuttler@...> wrote:

      Thanks for the welcome.

      I have a Sierra on the way, and it should be here later this week. It is in operating condition with a built 20m module, and an un-built 30M module. It also has an un-built digital display kit which means I get to do some of the work! I also contacted Bob at wilderness radio and just sent him a check for the 80,40, and 15 meter modules, and a Buzz not. He was very helpful, and gave me a number of tips concerning the building and installation of the keyer / display.

      I was considering the 10 meter band module, but 10 just sucks in this solar cycle, and at 75 years old, I am not sure I will be here for the next cycle, and if I am, I can use my ICOM 703 which is no slouch as a radio.

      Just in case I hedged my bet by ordering a blank band PC board too.

      Regards to all,

      David - KE6YX

      --- In sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com, <sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      David,
      welcome to our group.
      David has a sierra with digital display coming.
      Hope You will enjoy David.

      73 - Petr, OK1RP