Re: Welcome to Grant, KT6L !

  • Paul Smith
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 15, 2008
      Grant,
      I do not know of any warnings . My Sierra build went ok with one
      little problem and a question or two the QRP Bob.. I love my Sierra.
      I have made lots of contacts on it from here at home on a G5RV or at
      the lake on a 44 ft doublet on a crappie pole. Have fun and would
      like to have a Sierra to Sierra with you some day.
      de Paul N0NBD

      --- In sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com, "querencias"
      <tuquerencia@...> wrote:

      > Petr,
      >
      > Many thanks for the cordial welcome and acceptance into your group.
      >
      > Just finished the NorCal 40a from QRP Bob and was so pleased I
      bought the Sierra, the
      > full-on Monty with a number of bands, KC-2, etc. I'm a retired
      engineer and have spent
      > many hours with a soldering iron and lab gear - not afraid of
      toroids (which actually can
      > be good psycho-therapy). The Sierra looks similar to the NC 40,
      but more complex.

      > Anyone have any advice or warnings before I heat up the soldering
      iron? Anything will be
      > a appreciated.
      >
      > Also, I'm curious about the kinds of antennas your guys are using
      with the Sierra. I've
      > been using a cushcraft roof-mounted R-7 with good results.
      Compares favorably with the
      > Butternut (20 radials) in the backyard - maybe the additional
      height enhances its
      > performance.
      >
      > 73 de KT6L, Grant
      >

      > --- In sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com, "Petr Ourednik"
      <indians@> wrote:

      > > Grant,
      > >
      > > welcome to Sierra group and congratulation to getting the Sierra
      kit!
      > > I hope that You will have basic kit done to be able to go on the
      air
      > > and then You will add options which will make Your Sierra more
      > > comfortable like digi readout etc.
      > >
      > > Do not hesitate to ask over here in case of pb.
      > >
      > > Good luck,
      > > Petr OK1RP

    • querencias
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 16, 2008
        thnaks Paul,

        I just last night completed the 40 m band module and when I did the initial tests
        everything went great great except for the last one - measure the voltage on pin 8 U7
        which was 6 instead of 8.0 +/- 0.1. Looking over the schematic and checking the voltage
        regulator everything looks good except that the output of the regulator is pulled down..
        checked it also with the module removed with same result...must have something to do do
        with the key input

        anyway, looking forward to a Sierra qso w/you

        thanks, Grant KT6L