Toroids & QRP Bob

  • Alex
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 5, 2013
      Hi Colin

      Thanks for the reply, and yes it was generous of QRP Bob to volunteer to copy
      the manual for me - and really appreciated.

      Bob's photo and description of the Zuni Loop contest and 73 magazines' early photo of the
      Sierra project had me wanting one of these for many years.

      Like you - I built the 9 modules for #1 ARRL (Norcal) Sierra and another 5 for #2 Sierra.
      Now lets see - thats 94? toroids in all, now have to build the 3 additional modules for this
      one.

      The reason for #3 is that the HB perspex cases in the prior 2 are not rugged enough for travelling.
      This one is very plain vanilla version and have yet to mount external ABX and power pots and
      the RF/S meter to the case.

      Picked up a new Temperature controlled soldering iron from Hobby King
      (local Warehouse) for $15 to do the soldering on this rig.
      <http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__24790__Soldering_Station_with_Adjustable_Heat_Range_with_US_Plug.html?strSearch=soldering%20station>

      Tuner is a HB Z-match and Stockton wattmeter in a small case, and antenna for travelling
      is a 30' squid pole with slinky loading coil for multiband use.

      Have had a chat to VK4TJ many years ago on the SSB VK QRP natter net and think? have
      had a CW contact with ZL2BQ in a Trans Tasman qrp contest back then also - I will check the log.

      I had attempted to keep a sked with the other members of the North Georgia QRP Club
      with their Sierras, but the propagation gods were not kind.

      Hope to catch you on the bands

      regards

      Alex

      cfaison@... wrote:

      Hi there Alex;

           My Sierra was one of the last ones made. There is a diagram showing a power output meter an/or an S-meter which couples in at back of mine right next to the antenna  connector. I love the ABX control on this thing, it really cuts thru the QRM.
           You are right about the manual being a good deal at $10, I have all 9 modules for mine, so have plenty of room to explore. Enjoy yours, and if you hear VK4TJ, say hello to him for me; or ZL2BQ.

                           CUL;
                            Colin Faison K4CML
                              SKCC 224T