Re: S meter

  • k4cml
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 5, 2013
      Will try to get a chance to copy the page Alex and send it to you. Please send me a note to cfaison@... and I will reply when I get it copied.

      Colin Faison K4CML

      --- In sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com, Alex <aberkuta@...> wrote:

      > Hi
      >
      > While building the additional modules for my Wilderness Sierra, I was
      > wondering if anybody has the part
      > of the manual that might refer to a S meter point in the circuitry, and
      > can copy
      > and send it to me? I would like to add this feature to my plain vanilla
      > version.
      >
      > The FAR/ARRL boards I have are way different to this 1995 Rev C board.
      >
      > Otherwise it will be back to QRP Bob to see if he has any manuals left.
      >
      > 72 Alex VK2KR

    • Alex
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 5, 2013
        Hi Colin

        Apparently the S meter is and add on HB board noted in the manual
        addendum.

        Thank you for the offer, however QRP Bob will be copying a manual (he has none left)
        for only $10 +pp - a bargain for what I need.

        What I have noticed is that this Wilderness Kit purchased on that in-famous site,
        has greater audio output compared to my HB ARRL versions, even when the LM386 chip
        has been upgraded to the -4 version rather than the original -1.

        At the moment listening to the CW pile-up on 7.026mhz from the Clipperton DXpedition
        on a HB Miracle whip. Will have a horizontal loop antenna up later in the week, it will
        be wire stapled under the eaves of the house.

        Looking forward to finally getting this rig on the air

        72 de Alex VK2KR

      • cfaison@juno.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 5, 2013
          Hi there Alex;

               My Sierra was one of the last ones made. There is a diagram showing a power output meter an/or an S-meter which couples in at back of mine right next to the antenna  connector. I love the ABX control on this thing, it really cuts thru the QRM.
               You are right about the manual being a good deal at $10, I have all 9 modules for mine, so have plenty of room to explore. Enjoy yours, and if you hear VK4TJ, say hello to him for me; or ZL2BQ.

                               CUL;
                                Colin Faison K4CML
                                  SKCC 224T

          30-second trick for a flat belly
          TheFatBurningHormone.com
        • Alex
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 5, 2013
            Hi Colin

            Thanks for the reply, and yes it was generous of QRP Bob to volunteer to copy
            the manual for me - and really appreciated.

            Bob's photo and description of the Zuni Loop contest and 73 magazines' early photo of the
            Sierra project had me wanting one of these for many years.

            Like you - I built the 9 modules for #1 ARRL (Norcal) Sierra and another 5 for #2 Sierra.
            Now lets see - thats 94? toroids in all, now have to build the 3 additional modules for this
            one.

            The reason for #3 is that the HB perspex cases in the prior 2 are not rugged enough for travelling.
            This one is very plain vanilla version and have yet to mount external ABX and power pots and
            the RF/S meter to the case.

            Picked up a new Temperature controlled soldering iron from Hobby King
            (local Warehouse) for $15 to do the soldering on this rig.
            <http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__24790__Soldering_Station_with_Adjustable_Heat_Range_with_US_Plug.html?strSearch=soldering%20station>

            Tuner is a HB Z-match and Stockton wattmeter in a small case, and antenna for travelling
            is a 30' squid pole with slinky loading coil for multiband use.

            Have had a chat to VK4TJ many years ago on the SSB VK QRP natter net and think? have
            had a CW contact with ZL2BQ in a Trans Tasman qrp contest back then also - I will check the log.

            I had attempted to keep a sked with the other members of the North Georgia QRP Club
            with their Sierras, but the propagation gods were not kind.

            Hope to catch you on the bands

            regards

            Alex