S meter

  • Alex
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2013
      Hi

      While building the additional modules for my Wilderness Sierra, I was wondering if anybody has the part
      of the manual that might refer to a S meter point in the circuitry, and can copy
      and send it to me? I would like to add this feature to my plain vanilla version.

      The FAR/ARRL boards I have are way different to this 1995 Rev C board.

      Otherwise it will be back to QRP Bob to see if he has any manuals left.

      72  Alex VK2KR
    • k4cml
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 5, 2013
        Will try to get a chance to copy the page Alex and send it to you. Please send me a note to cfaison@... and I will reply when I get it copied.

        Colin Faison K4CML

        --- In sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com, Alex <aberkuta@...> wrote:

        > Hi
        >
        > While building the additional modules for my Wilderness Sierra, I was
        > wondering if anybody has the part
        > of the manual that might refer to a S meter point in the circuitry, and
        > can copy
        > and send it to me? I would like to add this feature to my plain vanilla
        > version.
        >
        > The FAR/ARRL boards I have are way different to this 1995 Rev C board.
        >
        > Otherwise it will be back to QRP Bob to see if he has any manuals left.
        >
        > 72 Alex VK2KR

      • Alex
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 5, 2013
          Hi Colin

          Apparently the S meter is and add on HB board noted in the manual
          addendum.

          Thank you for the offer, however QRP Bob will be copying a manual (he has none left)
          for only $10 +pp - a bargain for what I need.

          What I have noticed is that this Wilderness Kit purchased on that in-famous site,
          has greater audio output compared to my HB ARRL versions, even when the LM386 chip
          has been upgraded to the -4 version rather than the original -1.

          At the moment listening to the CW pile-up on 7.026mhz from the Clipperton DXpedition
          on a HB Miracle whip. Will have a horizontal loop antenna up later in the week, it will
          be wire stapled under the eaves of the house.

          Looking forward to finally getting this rig on the air

          72 de Alex VK2KR

        • cfaison@juno.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 5, 2013
            Hi there Alex;

                 My Sierra was one of the last ones made. There is a diagram showing a power output meter an/or an S-meter which couples in at back of mine right next to the antenna  connector. I love the ABX control on this thing, it really cuts thru the QRM.
                 You are right about the manual being a good deal at $10, I have all 9 modules for mine, so have plenty of room to explore. Enjoy yours, and if you hear VK4TJ, say hello to him for me; or ZL2BQ.

                                 CUL;
                                  Colin Faison K4CML
                                    SKCC 224T

            30-second trick for a flat belly
            TheFatBurningHormone.com
          • Alex
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 5, 2013
              Hi Colin

              Thanks for the reply, and yes it was generous of QRP Bob to volunteer to copy
              the manual for me - and really appreciated.

              Bob's photo and description of the Zuni Loop contest and 73 magazines' early photo of the
              Sierra project had me wanting one of these for many years.

              Like you - I built the 9 modules for #1 ARRL (Norcal) Sierra and another 5 for #2 Sierra.
              Now lets see - thats 94? toroids in all, now have to build the 3 additional modules for this
              one.

              The reason for #3 is that the HB perspex cases in the prior 2 are not rugged enough for travelling.
              This one is very plain vanilla version and have yet to mount external ABX and power pots and
              the RF/S meter to the case.

              Picked up a new Temperature controlled soldering iron from Hobby King
              (local Warehouse) for $15 to do the soldering on this rig.
              <http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__24790__Soldering_Station_with_Adjustable_Heat_Range_with_US_Plug.html?strSearch=soldering%20station>

              Tuner is a HB Z-match and Stockton wattmeter in a small case, and antenna for travelling
              is a 30' squid pole with slinky loading coil for multiband use.

              Have had a chat to VK4TJ many years ago on the SSB VK QRP natter net and think? have
              had a CW contact with ZL2BQ in a Trans Tasman qrp contest back then also - I will check the log.

              I had attempted to keep a sked with the other members of the North Georgia QRP Club
              with their Sierras, but the propagation gods were not kind.

              Hope to catch you on the bands

              regards

              Alex