Re: Greetings from K7TP - Norcal Tuner - and a Request for Help

  • ve3wmb
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 25, 2013
      Grover :

      After seeing your pictures I now regret selling my St Louis Tuner kit years ago.
      It makes a nice companion for the Sierra.

      Good luck with you 17m module.

      Michael VE3WMB

      --- In sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com, "k7tp" <clevelandg@...> wrote:

      > I'm pleased to have found this group. I built my Sierra many years ago, equipped it with all the goodies, and even had Wayne look at it when my Buzznot seemed to not work properly.
      >
      > I also built the matching Norcal St. Louis Tuner at the same time. A photo is in my folder. These must be rare since I've not seen another one in years.
      >
      > Now a request of someone: I have a 17m module that is not performing (minimal output <.10 W) and I can't find my mistake although I've looked and looked. Could one of you look it over for me, find the problem, and tune it up? Postage paid both ways and a thousand karma points to your credit.
      >
      > Grover
      >
      > QRP since 1973.

    • Alex
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 1, 2013
        Hi

        Played with Sierra #3 - the Wilderness version this afternoon, unsuccessfully.

        I have solar power panels installed on the roof, and the S9 hash and spikes (every 30khz)
        kill any idea of operating during the day.

        As I have so many lipo battery packs from model aircraft use, I use the 3S ones
        that give out 11,1 volts. These I have in a variety of sizes from 800mah to 3300mah.

        Tried a 2S pack (8000mah) at 7.4 volts and Rx was little different (for what it was worth
        with the hash) and power on Tx was down a bit, but it still surprised me that it worked OK.

        THUS - does anybody know what the minimum operating voltage of the rig ????
        (No - I don't have a variable power supply to find out for myself).

        I still have to assemble the extra modules for my trip to Tasmania later in the year.
        I will be using a 30' squid pole with a slinky loading coil for the antenna. This to use
        while camping out near streams as I attempt to catch a few rainbow trout.

        72

        Alex VK2KR