Re: Greetings from K7TP - Norcal Tuner - and a Request for Help

  • Cam Hartford
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 24, 2013
      Grover -

      Ship it South. I've got a working 17M module I can compare it to.

      72/73,

      Cam N6GA
    • Grover Cleveland
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 24, 2013
        Hi stranger.

        It's on its way to Paul W0RW.

        What's going on on your world these days?

        Grover Cleveland
        -----------------------

        On Feb 24, 2013, at 2:49 PM, Cam Hartford <camqrp@...> wrote:

        Grover -

        Ship it South. I've got a working 17M module I can compare it to.

        72/73,

        Cam N6GA

      • camqrp
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 25, 2013
          Grover -

          If nothing else, your request for help on the Sierra caused me to dust off mine and put it on the air. I don't think I'd ever had a 17 M QSO with it so I powered up on that band and made a few short contacts.

          I'd forgotten how much I liked the Sierra. It has a characteristic sound, took me back to the mid-1990's when I used it at Field Day. As I remember, it played very nicely and I could go the whole contest on a 7 AH gell cell. These days I haul a marine/rv deep discharge battery which sags under the load of rig, lights and logging computer!

          CUL,

          Cam N6GA

          --- In sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com, Grover Cleveland <clevelandg@...> wrote:

          > Hi stranger.
          >
          > It's on its way to Paul W0RW.
          >
          > What's going on on your world these days?
          >

          > Grover Cleveland
          > -----------------------
          > www.sierratraveler.com
          >
          > On Feb 24, 2013, at 2:49 PM, Cam Hartford <camqrp@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Grover -
          > >
          > > Ship it South. I've got a working 17M module I can compare it to.
          > >
          > > 72/73,
          > >
          > > Cam N6GA

        • Grover Cleveland
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 25, 2013
            I think the SOTA operators have it right - lightweight and simple. We've missed something on the way up the technology ladder.

            My friend Jeffrey W6JP keeps saying the simplicity mantra, "tube, key, and wire."

            image.jpeg

            Grover Cleveland
            -----------------------

            On Feb 25, 2013, at 12:13 PM, camqrp@... wrote:

            Grover -

            If nothing else, your request for help on the Sierra caused me to dust off mine and put it on the air. I don't think I'd ever had a 17 M QSO with it so I powered up on that band and made a few short contacts.

            I'd forgotten how much I liked the Sierra. It has a characteristic sound, took me back to the mid-1990's when I used it at Field Day. As I remember, it played very nicely and I could go the whole contest on a 7 AH gell cell. These days I haul a marine/rv deep discharge battery which sags under the load of rig, lights and logging computers!

            CUL,

            Cam N6GA

            --- In sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com, Grover Cleveland wrote:

            > Hi stranger.
            >
            > It's on its way to Paul W0RW.
            >
            > What's going on on your world these days?
            >

            > Grover Cleveland
            > -----------------------
            > www.sierratraveler.com
            >
            > On Feb 24, 2013, at 2:49 PM, Cam Hartford wrote:
            >
            > > Grover -
            > >
            > > Ship it South. I've got a working 17M module I can compare it to.
            > >
            > > 72/73,
            > >
            > > Cam N6GA

          • ve3wmb
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 25, 2013
              Grover :

              After seeing your pictures I now regret selling my St Louis Tuner kit years ago.
              It makes a nice companion for the Sierra.

              Good luck with you 17m module.

              Michael VE3WMB

              --- In sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com, "k7tp" <clevelandg@...> wrote:

              > I'm pleased to have found this group. I built my Sierra many years ago, equipped it with all the goodies, and even had Wayne look at it when my Buzznot seemed to not work properly.
              >
              > I also built the matching Norcal St. Louis Tuner at the same time. A photo is in my folder. These must be rare since I've not seen another one in years.
              >
              > Now a request of someone: I have a 17m module that is not performing (minimal output <.10 W) and I can't find my mistake although I've looked and looked. Could one of you look it over for me, find the problem, and tune it up? Postage paid both ways and a thousand karma points to your credit.
              >
              > Grover
              >
              > QRP since 1973.

            • Alex
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 1, 2013
                Hi

                Played with Sierra #3 - the Wilderness version this afternoon, unsuccessfully.

                I have solar power panels installed on the roof, and the S9 hash and spikes (every 30khz)
                kill any idea of operating during the day.

                As I have so many lipo battery packs from model aircraft use, I use the 3S ones
                that give out 11,1 volts. These I have in a variety of sizes from 800mah to 3300mah.

                Tried a 2S pack (8000mah) at 7.4 volts and Rx was little different (for what it was worth
                with the hash) and power on Tx was down a bit, but it still surprised me that it worked OK.

                THUS - does anybody know what the minimum operating voltage of the rig ????
                (No - I don't have a variable power supply to find out for myself).

                I still have to assemble the extra modules for my trip to Tasmania later in the year.
                I will be using a 30' squid pole with a slinky loading coil for the antenna. This to use
                while camping out near streams as I attempt to catch a few rainbow trout.

                72

                Alex VK2KR