Greetings from K7TP - Norcal Tuner - and a Request for Help

  • k7tp
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 24, 2013
      I'm pleased to have found this group. I built my Sierra many years ago, equipped it with all the goodies, and even had Wayne look at it when my Buzznot seemed to not work properly.

      I also built the matching Norcal St. Louis Tuner at the same time. A photo is in my folder. These must be rare since I've not seen another one in years.

      Now a request of someone: I have a 17m module that is not performing (minimal output <.10 W) and I can't find my mistake although I've looked and looked. Could one of you look it over for me, find the problem, and tune it up? Postage paid both ways and a thousand karma points to your credit.

      Grover

      QRP since 1973.
    • Cam Hartford
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 24, 2013
        Grover -

        Ship it South. I've got a working 17M module I can compare it to.

        72/73,

        Cam N6GA
      • Grover Cleveland
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 24, 2013
          Hi stranger.

          It's on its way to Paul W0RW.

          What's going on on your world these days?

          Grover Cleveland
          -----------------------

          On Feb 24, 2013, at 2:49 PM, Cam Hartford <camqrp@...> wrote:

          Grover -

          Ship it South. I've got a working 17M module I can compare it to.

          72/73,

          Cam N6GA

        • camqrp
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 25, 2013
            Grover -

            If nothing else, your request for help on the Sierra caused me to dust off mine and put it on the air. I don't think I'd ever had a 17 M QSO with it so I powered up on that band and made a few short contacts.

            I'd forgotten how much I liked the Sierra. It has a characteristic sound, took me back to the mid-1990's when I used it at Field Day. As I remember, it played very nicely and I could go the whole contest on a 7 AH gell cell. These days I haul a marine/rv deep discharge battery which sags under the load of rig, lights and logging computer!

            CUL,

            Cam N6GA

            --- In sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com, Grover Cleveland <clevelandg@...> wrote:

            > Hi stranger.
            >
            > It's on its way to Paul W0RW.
            >
            > What's going on on your world these days?
            >

            > Grover Cleveland
            > -----------------------
            > www.sierratraveler.com
            >
            > On Feb 24, 2013, at 2:49 PM, Cam Hartford <camqrp@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Grover -
            > >
            > > Ship it South. I've got a working 17M module I can compare it to.
            > >
            > > 72/73,
            > >
            > > Cam N6GA

          • Grover Cleveland
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 25, 2013
              I think the SOTA operators have it right - lightweight and simple. We've missed something on the way up the technology ladder.

              My friend Jeffrey W6JP keeps saying the simplicity mantra, "tube, key, and wire."

              image.jpeg

              Grover Cleveland
              -----------------------

              On Feb 25, 2013, at 12:13 PM, camqrp@... wrote:

              Grover -

              If nothing else, your request for help on the Sierra caused me to dust off mine and put it on the air. I don't think I'd ever had a 17 M QSO with it so I powered up on that band and made a few short contacts.

              I'd forgotten how much I liked the Sierra. It has a characteristic sound, took me back to the mid-1990's when I used it at Field Day. As I remember, it played very nicely and I could go the whole contest on a 7 AH gell cell. These days I haul a marine/rv deep discharge battery which sags under the load of rig, lights and logging computers!

              CUL,

              Cam N6GA

              --- In sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com, Grover Cleveland wrote:

              > Hi stranger.
              >
              > It's on its way to Paul W0RW.
              >
              > What's going on on your world these days?
              >

              > Grover Cleveland
              > -----------------------
              > www.sierratraveler.com
              >
              > On Feb 24, 2013, at 2:49 PM, Cam Hartford wrote:
              >
              > > Grover -
              > >
              > > Ship it South. I've got a working 17M module I can compare it to.
              > >
              > > 72/73,
              > >
              > > Cam N6GA

            • ve3wmb
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 25, 2013
                Grover :

                After seeing your pictures I now regret selling my St Louis Tuner kit years ago.
                It makes a nice companion for the Sierra.

                Good luck with you 17m module.

                Michael VE3WMB

                --- In sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com, "k7tp" <clevelandg@...> wrote:

                > I'm pleased to have found this group. I built my Sierra many years ago, equipped it with all the goodies, and even had Wayne look at it when my Buzznot seemed to not work properly.
                >
                > I also built the matching Norcal St. Louis Tuner at the same time. A photo is in my folder. These must be rare since I've not seen another one in years.
                >
                > Now a request of someone: I have a 17m module that is not performing (minimal output <.10 W) and I can't find my mistake although I've looked and looked. Could one of you look it over for me, find the problem, and tune it up? Postage paid both ways and a thousand karma points to your credit.
                >
                > Grover
                >
                > QRP since 1973.

              • Alex
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 1 10:47 PM
                  Hi

                  Played with Sierra #3 - the Wilderness version this afternoon, unsuccessfully.

                  I have solar power panels installed on the roof, and the S9 hash and spikes (every 30khz)
                  kill any idea of operating during the day.

                  As I have so many lipo battery packs from model aircraft use, I use the 3S ones
                  that give out 11,1 volts. These I have in a variety of sizes from 800mah to 3300mah.

                  Tried a 2S pack (8000mah) at 7.4 volts and Rx was little different (for what it was worth
                  with the hash) and power on Tx was down a bit, but it still surprised me that it worked OK.

                  THUS - does anybody know what the minimum operating voltage of the rig ????
                  (No - I don't have a variable power supply to find out for myself).

                  I still have to assemble the extra modules for my trip to Tasmania later in the year.
                  I will be using a 30' squid pole with a slinky loading coil for the antenna. This to use
                  while camping out near streams as I attempt to catch a few rainbow trout.

                  72

                  Alex VK2KR