Re: Hello

  • querencias
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 31, 2013
      Welcome to John and Tony. QRP is "where it's at!" a we used to say.

      John,

      since the Sierra is no longer available as a kit and the assembled/used ones you can find on eBay are outrageously expensive you might consider the Elecraft KX-1 kit. Also very expensive but designed by the same engineer. I have both a Sierra and the KX-1 and it's difficult to choose one over the other.

      Good luck with the pursuit of Ham Radio, one of the best endeavors that an enlightened human being can do.

      72/73 de KT6L/Grant

      --- In sierra_wilderness_radio@yahoogroups.com, "toni" wrote:

      > Thank you Sierra Wilderness Radio - Yahoo group , you make me happy . All the best 73

    • lowpowerop
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 31, 2013
        Thanks Grant but I want a Sierra. The look of the kx-1 is hideous.

        72
        john

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 1, 2013
          Hi John

          It may look hideous but it works superbly! My sister told me when she saw my new Prius - "That car is Butt-Ugly!" She bought her own within six months, not that you'll buy a KX-1 - it is a superb little rig and carries its own power supply, 6 AA batteries inside.

          I hope that you're able to find an unbuilt Sierra kit or an assembled and tested one in good shape but give the KX-1 a 2nd thought - it's a really cool radio too with more features, including digital display, room for a built-in automatic tuner. It's a lot easier to travel with and operate the KX-1. My wife and I were in Starsbourg, France, and I hung a wire from the 3rd floor window straight down to within 12 feet of the sidewalk - nobody noticed -but I managed a QSO with a ham in Croatia who wanted to meet my wife and me in Budapest. Ham radio is a world-wide hobby, actually more like a brother-hood.

          I plan to keep my Sierra forever even thought I hardly ever use it - guess I prefer the KX-1 but I LOVE my Sierra

          Best of luck in your search.

          72 de grant

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 1, 2013
            hahaha. Ok Grant. I will certainly keep that in mind!