Re: [sierra_wilderness_radio] ABX pot value?

  • Alex
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 17, 2012
      Hi John

      Thanks for the info on the pot, I have a miniature 10k pot in the spares
      and will use that
      after carefully drilling out the front panel. Will make sure that I keep
      swarf off the board.

      Using a lanolin based lubricant this morning have got some improvement
      in the gear drive
      and although pretty tight in 2 spots (40-60 & 100-130khz marks), now
      works as it should.

      Now to make up the power cord so that I can run it on the 5,000mah 3S
      Lipo battery.
      Will be using a HB Noga Wattmeter with the inbuilt Z-match tuner running
      to a long wire.

      Really looking forward to getting it on the air, and then taking it out
      for bush operating.

      Link to the picture of the new Sierra in between the two HB ARRL ones is
      below
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sierra_wilderness_radio/photos/album/1906394200/pic/788803026/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc>

      regards

      Alex VK2KR

      john gabbard wrote:

      > HI Alex,
      > A bummer on the vfo cap, mine has 2 small spots where you can just
      > barely feel alittle rough spots. I repacked the bearings with new
      > grease and that helps. The value of R31(ABX) pot is 10K if you
      > haven't found out already.
      > Good luck with your Sierra,
      > Love mine!
      > John KF7OM 73

    • john gabbard
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 17, 2012
        Sounds good Alex,
               Sometimes the pots can be dis assembled and cleaned up and turn out good as new,with  alittle contact cleaner it might work.
                                                                    73'   John   KF7OM

        john gabbard wrote:

        > HI Alex,
        >     A bummer on the vfo cap, mine has 2 small spots where you can just
        > barely feel alittle rough spots. I repacked the bearings with new
        > grease and that helps. The value of R31(ABX)  pot is 10K if you
        > haven't found out already.
        >                                      Good luck with your Sierra,
        >                                       Love mine!
        >                                       John   KF7OM   73

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           sierra_wilderness_radio-digest@yahoogroups.com
           sierra_wilderness_radio-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • ekstrand.rolf
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 18, 2012
          I guess that Qrp Bob does not have the caps as it is one of those items made out of unobtanium these days. It is more than likely Chinese and you need to order 1000 pcs.. Was looking for a suitable replacement as mine had the same problem.. It's called quality vs. price..

          Anyway MFJ sells the caps they use in the SWR bridges.. The P/N is 282-5050-1 $19.62 EA 5 - 65 pf Just remove a couple of rotor and stator plates and away you go.

          Another neat option is to use like N3ZI VFO http://www.pongrance.com/ Just inject at C63 ( you need to shut down VFO and U7 though).

          Rolf
          N9FLZ

        • lopwr@bellsouth.net