Re: [sierra_wilderness_radio] ABX pot value?

  • john gabbard
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 17, 2012
      HI Alex,
          A bummer on the vfo cap, mine has 2 small spots where you can just barely feel alittle rough spots. I repacked the bearings with new grease and that helps. The value of R31(ABX)  pot is 10K if you haven't found out already.
                                           Good luck with your Sierra,
                                            Love mine!
                                            John   KF7OM   73

      On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 3:51 PM, Alex <aberkuta@...> wrote:

      Hi

      My eb*y Sierra purchase has arrived and has the internal trim pot
      for ABX. I would like to make it a front panel control.

      As I only have the ARRL notes on the Norcal version, it does not
      have this on the circuit diagram. Does anybody who has the manual
      be able to advise on its value before I get the soldering iron out?

      I am a bit disappointed that the gearbox reduction for the variable
      capacitor (VFO) siezes in two places as you try and tune, and assume
      that the shaft is bent (Grrr) and will be trying to disassemble it later
      when I can find the right size allen key. Have not tried QRP Bob
      yet to see if he carries spares of this item.

      Thanks

      Alex VK2KR

    • Alex
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 17, 2012
        Hi John

        Thanks for the info on the pot, I have a miniature 10k pot in the spares
        and will use that
        after carefully drilling out the front panel. Will make sure that I keep
        swarf off the board.

        Using a lanolin based lubricant this morning have got some improvement
        in the gear drive
        and although pretty tight in 2 spots (40-60 & 100-130khz marks), now
        works as it should.

        Now to make up the power cord so that I can run it on the 5,000mah 3S
        Lipo battery.
        Will be using a HB Noga Wattmeter with the inbuilt Z-match tuner running
        to a long wire.

        Really looking forward to getting it on the air, and then taking it out
        for bush operating.

        Link to the picture of the new Sierra in between the two HB ARRL ones is
        below
        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sierra_wilderness_radio/photos/album/1906394200/pic/788803026/view?picmode=&mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&count=20&dir=asc>

        regards

        Alex VK2KR

        john gabbard wrote:

        > HI Alex,
        > A bummer on the vfo cap, mine has 2 small spots where you can just
        > barely feel alittle rough spots. I repacked the bearings with new
        > grease and that helps. The value of R31(ABX) pot is 10K if you
        > haven't found out already.
        > Good luck with your Sierra,
        > Love mine!
        > John KF7OM 73

      • john gabbard
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 17, 2012
          Sounds good Alex,
                 Sometimes the pots can be dis assembled and cleaned up and turn out good as new,with  alittle contact cleaner it might work.
                                                                      73'   John   KF7OM

          john gabbard wrote:

          > HI Alex,
          >     A bummer on the vfo cap, mine has 2 small spots where you can just
          > barely feel alittle rough spots. I repacked the bearings with new
          > grease and that helps. The value of R31(ABX)  pot is 10K if you
          > haven't found out already.
          >                                      Good luck with your Sierra,
          >                                       Love mine!
          >                                       John   KF7OM   73

          <*> Your email settings:
             Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
             (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
             sierra_wilderness_radio-digest@yahoogroups.com
             sierra_wilderness_radio-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

             http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • ekstrand.rolf
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 18, 2012
            I guess that Qrp Bob does not have the caps as it is one of those items made out of unobtanium these days. It is more than likely Chinese and you need to order 1000 pcs.. Was looking for a suitable replacement as mine had the same problem.. It's called quality vs. price..

            Anyway MFJ sells the caps they use in the SWR bridges.. The P/N is 282-5050-1 $19.62 EA 5 - 65 pf Just remove a couple of rotor and stator plates and away you go.

            Another neat option is to use like N3ZI VFO http://www.pongrance.com/ Just inject at C63 ( you need to shut down VFO and U7 though).

            Rolf
            N9FLZ

          • lopwr@bellsouth.net