El Dorado Co Wood Duck babies and more

  • Summer Brasuel
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 22 8:12 PM
      Day 3 we still have all 5 babies. I have done a bit of reading and the
      nestling stage for Wood Ducks is 1 day and fledgling stage is 5 weeks.
      Yesterday the Wild Bunch was out of control and Mama could not get
      them to behave. They refuse to bunch up at her call. I was surprised
      they made it through their 2nd day of life.

      Today the seem to have learned to bunch together and not be so wildly
      independant. I guess the first night out was scarey. Today they Mama
      had them under control.

      It was amazing watching these youngsters feed. They could catch bugs
      out of the air with no problems. Go Wood Ducks!!! I have been
      scattering bird seed near the waters edge all winter. The duckings
      enjoy the seed, too. Later in the day I was astonished to find the
      babies alone on the pond except for the male Mallard. I doubt he was
      the designated babysitter. I'm not sure how long the little ones were
      alone. but I did see the male and female fly back to the pond togther.

      Since they were brought to the pond it seems the male Wood Duck is
      also helping protect the ducklings. This evening I had 5 males and 2
      females. Will we see more ducklings from the 2nd female?

      ...and what about the female Mallard????

      Other birds today at the feeder were a male Black-headed Grosbeak,
      male Western Tanager, Red-breasted Nuthatch and the 4 Chipping
      Sparrows returned this evening.

      Summer Brasuel
      Grizzly Flat Rd. el. 3150ft
      Somerset, Ca