[Mtn-birds] happenings in Butte Co.

  • Brian Williams
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2000
      This week I worked a bit along the North Fork Feather River above Oroville
      Res. On Tuesday there were flights of white waterbirds (Snow & Ross Geese,
      Tundra Swans) heading east over the mountains. They did not seem to
      strictly follow the Feather River Canyon (as has been previously observed
      for other migrants in this area) but instead followed a set compass bearing.
      I don't know of their destination, but it could easily be Sierra Valley or
      other nearby eastside valleys. It always seems awfully early and risky for
      them to cross the Sierra so soon, but since they've been doing that for much
      longer than I've been around, I will trust their judgment. The main point
      is that birders should consider and eastside trip at this time of year
      through March.

      Also, the Dippers were really singing it up on the river. If you listen
      carefully you can pick out elements that sound like imitations (Rock Wren,
      crossbill, etc.) though I can't recall if the literature says they are
      "supposed" to do this.

      Brian Williams

      Wildlife Ecologist Biology Department
      Garcia & Associates Sierra College Home
      1059 Court Street, Ste. 112 5000 Rocklin Rd. 204 Teton Place
      Woodland, CA 95695 Rocklin, CA 95677 Woodland, CA
      95695-5829
      530-669-1850
      530-666-4050
      bwilliams@... bwcal@...