[Mtn-birds] Chestnut Collared Longspur

  • todtringa@jps.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 24, 1999
      Hey mountain comrades,

      Today in Eldorado County at South Lake Tahoe, Mike Bumgardner and I
      found a
      first year male- Chestnut Collared Logspur. The bird was seen with a
      flock
      of about twenty Horned Larks at the Tahoe Keys Marina off of Venice
      Drive
      East. From the intersection of Hwy 50 and Hwy 89, drive east on Hwy 50
      for
      about one mile or so and go left on Tahoe Keys Blvd. Take this about
      one and
      a half miles and go right on Venice Drive East. Take VDE to the very
      end or
      to a circle turn around (prior to the marina). Park here and go the
      trail
      head located just to the east of the turn around. Go through the fence
      or
      gate and you are on the trail that parallels the field in which the
      bird was
      found. You may need to walk through the small field to find the flock.
      The
      bird never vocalized so if you dont hear it just look for the smaller
      bird
      with an obvious white flash in flight.

      Todd Easterla (county twitcher)
      todtringa@...