Re: [sicp-vsg] just the book and exercises?

  • Pupeno
    • Neil Jerram
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 21 2:50 PM
        Pupeno wrote:

        > Je Lundo Marto 21 2005 13:48, Philip Ansteth skribis:
        >
        >>Another doubt I have is that the lectures are almost
        >>20 years old, and evidently refer to an earlier
        >>edition
        >>of the book, not the one that is on the web.
        >
        > Yes, the original lectures are for the first edition of the book and they are
        > very old, but still very valuable since the concepts hadn't really changed.

        Just another data point: I watched the first lecture (1a) over the
        weekend, and in my view it was not in the slightest dated. If they
        continue in the same style, I see no problem from the fact that they
        technically accompany the first edition of the book.

        Neil
      • Steven Shaw
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 22 5:17 AM
          On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 08:48:47 -0800 (PST), Philip Ansteth
          <pansteth@...> wrote:
          > Another doubt I have is that the lectures are almost
          > 20 years old, and evidently refer to an earlier
          > edition
          > of the book, not the one that is on the web.

          I've watched them before. They haven't really dated technically. You
          might find the fashion sometimes funny but that adds to the charm.
          You'll be laughing out loud towards the end - it's a scream :).

          For my tastes, there is too much focus on electrical engineering. I'm
          not and will probably never be an electrical engineer. The focus on
          math problems that I don't recall from school is a little annoying too
          ... but I've seen past that.

          I thoughoughly enjoyed the videos the first time and am looking
          forward to another look with some people around to discuss the things
          I don't "get".

          Steve.
          --
          Steven Shaw http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?StevenShaw