ex 3.42

  • John Berthels
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 4, 2005
      Hi folks,

      A quick question for anyone who has looked at exercise 3.42 (or who
      fancies taking a look now :-)

      Basically, it seems to me that that the proposed change *is* safe, in
      that this should have the same serialisation behaviour as the original
      make-account (it lacks the serialisation on the 'balance method). i.e.
      pre-creating the serialised procedures seems safe.

      "We can constrain the concurrency by using serialized procedures,
      which are created by serializers. Serializers are constructed by
      make-serializer, whose implementation is given below. A serializer
      takes a procedure as argument and returns a serialized procedure that
      behaves like the original procedure. All calls to a given serializer
      return serialized procedures in the same set."

      Since it is the returned procedure which is serialised, not the call
      to the serialiser itself.

      But that seems like an unlikely answer, given the way the question is
      posed, so I suspect I am wrong. Would anyone care to give me a hint as
      to how or why I might be wrong, or perhaps confirm that they think the
      same as I do?

      regards,

      jb
    • Ioura Batugowski
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 7, 2005
        On 7/4/05, John Berthels <john.berthels@...> wrote:
        > Hi folks,
        >
        > A quick question for anyone who has looked at exercise 3.42 (or who
        > fancies taking a look now :-)
        >
        > Basically, it seems to me that that the proposed change *is* safe, in
        > that this should have the same serialisation behaviour as the original
        > make-account (it lacks the serialisation on the 'balance method). i.e.
        > pre-creating the serialised procedures seems safe.
        >
        > [...]
        >
        > But that seems like an unlikely answer, given the way the question is
        > posed, so I suspect I am wrong. Would anyone care to give me a hint as
        > to how or why I might be wrong, or perhaps confirm that they think the
        > same as I do?

        Hi John,

        Like you, I can't see what difference it makes on the serialization
        behaviour, despite the way the question is posed...

        > regards,
        >
        > jb

      • John Berthels
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 7, 2005
          On 7/7/05, Ioura Batugowski <ibatugow@...> wrote:
          > Hi John,
          >
          > Like you, I can't see what difference it makes on the serialization
          > behaviour, despite the way the question is posed...

          Thanks very much for your reply. I guess I'll have to leave that there
          then, unless someone else offers any additional insight in the future.

          Any chance of a quick survey of this list as to who is still reading
          the list and:

          a - actively working on SICP (if so, on which section)

          b - occasionally working on SICP (again, how far in)

          c - no longer working but still lurking on the list and might start
          again sometime

          I'm still in the 'active' camp, now on chapter 3.5 (stream
          programming) and still uploading completed exercises to
          http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.berthels/sicp/

          I'm getting a lot out of the course, if anyone needs any encouragement
          just let me know :-)

          regards,

          jb
        • Kamal -
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 7, 2005
            I'm reading the list. Just got done the programming languages and
            paradigms course here in summer session, that is supposedly based on
            SICP. Pretty useless course: the guy teaching wasn't that great; I
            should've stuck with self-study. Which is what I'm planning to start
            really soon. Maybe even right now.

            I should be in "active" and at chapter 1. I've read through it a
            couple times already, and watched associated videos, but I feel that I
            should do all the exercises to get the most out of it. None done yet.

            -Kamal

            On 7/7/05, John Berthels <john.berthels@...> wrote:
            > On 7/7/05, Ioura Batugowski <ibatugow@...> wrote:
            > > Hi John,
            > >
            > > Like you, I can't see what difference it makes on the serialization
            > > behaviour, despite the way the question is posed...
            >
            > Thanks very much for your reply. I guess I'll have to leave that there
            > then, unless someone else offers any additional insight in the future.
            >

            > Any chance of a quick survey of this list as to who is still reading
            > the list and:
            >
            > a - actively working on SICP (if so, on which section)
            >
            > b - occasionally working on SICP (again, how far in)
            >
            > c - no longer working but still lurking on the list and might start
            > again sometime
            >
            > I'm still in the 'active' camp, now on chapter 3.5 (stream
            > programming) and still uploading completed exercises to
            > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.berthels/sicp/
            >
            > I'm getting a lot out of the course, if anyone needs any encouragement
            > just let me know :-)
            >
            > regards,
            >
            > jb
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Philip Ansteth
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 7, 2005
              I'm a "c". I have not been happy with SICP.
              While it would be good to master all the
              material in it, at the same time, I can't help
              thinking
              that the same topics must be presented elsewhere
              in a way closer to my tastes and needs.

              --- John Berthels <john.berthels@...> wrote:

              > Any chance of a quick survey of this list as to who
              > is still reading
              > the list and:
              >
              > a - actively working on SICP (if so, on which
              > section)
              >
              > b - occasionally working on SICP (again, how far in)
              >
              > c - no longer working but still lurking on the list
              > and might start
              > again sometime
              >
              > I'm still in the 'active' camp, now on chapter 3.5
              > (stream
              > programming) and still uploading completed exercises
              > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.berthels/sicp/
              >
              > I'm getting a lot out of the course, if anyone needs
              > any encouragement
              > just let me know :-)
              >
              > regards,
              >
              > jb

              http://auctions.yahoo.com/
            • abozuen
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 8, 2005
                At 22:46 07.07.2005 +0100, you wrote:
                >Any chance of a quick survey of this list as to who is still reading
                >the list and:
                >
                >a - actively working on SICP (if so, on which section)
                >
                >b - occasionally working on SICP (again, how far in)
                >
                >c - no longer working but still lurking on the list and might start
                >again sometime

                Definitely "c"

                <whine>the workload is killing me</whine>

                Cheers, Ergin