New poll for sicp-vsg

  • sicp-vsg@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 18, 2005
      sicp-vsg group:

      Is one week enough to cover one lecture
      (half a class, there are 20) and the
      corresponding part of the book ?

      o Yes
      o No

      web site listed above.

      Thanks!
    • sicp-vsg@yahoogroups.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 20, 2005
        sicp-vsg group:

        Would you like to have weekly (after
        each lecture) chat meetings ?

        o Yes
        o No

        web site listed above.

        Thanks!
      • Steven Shaw
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 21, 2005
          But when?

          I'm currently in GMT+10:00 and likely to be in the UK before the end
          of the study (GMT+0 I guess).

          Intro: Hi! I'm Steve, a professional programmer who's sure there's
          still plenty (of important stuff) to learn. I've watch the videos
          (some twice because I stalled the first time) and read the book,
          skimming only a couple of chapters.

          Are we reading the book as well as watching the videos? Doing the
          excercises etc?
        • Charles Stanhope
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 21, 2005
            > Are we reading the book as well as watching the videos? Doing the
            > excercises etc?

            Hello, Steve! If I understand correctly, we are watching the videos
            and reading the book. I plan on trying the exercises, but I don't
            think the group has discussed doing them. The exercises would
            probably make a good point of discussion.
          • Steven Shaw
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 22, 2005
              On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 08:51:15 -0700, Charles Stanhope <cstanhop@...> wrote:

              > > Are we reading the book as well as watching the videos? Doing the
              > > excercises etc?
              >
              > Hello, Steve! If I understand correctly, we are watching the videos
              > and reading the book. I plan on trying the exercises, but I don't
              > think the group has discussed doing them. The exercises would
              > probably make a good point of discussion.

              Sign me up! I'll see if I can keep up.

              Note: each lecture is in two parts (about 4-500M each). Are we
              intending to watch an entire lecture each week or just one part?

              Cheers,
              Steve.
              --
              Steven Shaw http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?StevenShaw
            • Pupeno
              • sicp-vsg@yahoogroups.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 23, 2005
                  sicp-vsg group:

                  What technology (protocol) would you
                  like to use for the weekly meeting ?

                  o Jabber
                  o IRC

                  web site listed above.

                  Thanks!
                • Richard Michael
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 23, 2005
                    > What technology (protocol) would you
                    > like to use for the weekly meeting ?
                    >
                    > o Jabber
                    > o IRC

                    To responsibly vote on this I need information about the advantages and
                    disadvantages of both systems.

                    In lieu of such information, I'll just ask: why is Jabber better than
                    IRC? (i.e. What does Jabber do for us that IRC does not?)

                    Also, there is a Jabber transport for IRC. Unless there are Jabber
                    specific features that we'd use, shouldn't we use IRC because it is the
                    common denominator?

                    Richard