Post final schedule to mailing list please

  • Richard Michael
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 20, 2005
      Would someone please post the final lecture and IRC meeting schedule to
      the mailing list once it has been determined?

      I can't view the calendar and polls.

      Thanks!
      Richard
    • Pupeno
      • Charles Stanhope
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 20, 2005
          > Now, regarding the chat sessions, here comes the hard part... I'd like them
          > to happen on Tuesday or Wednesday, possible Monday and Friday too.
          > Thrusday are a no go for me. And I think Saturdays and Sundays are
          > not good for the group, or maybe they are.

          Well, weekdays would be alright, but they would have to be in the
          evenings for me. Sometime after 6PM Mountain Time would be best
          (Mountain Time is currently -7 GMT but will soon be -6 GMT). But
          starting at 5PM could be made to work too. Are you wanting to have
          multiple chat sessions per week?

          By the way, are we all in the western hemisphere? Or do we have some
          members who are in very different time zones? It seems everyone that
          introduced themselves and gave a location were in the Americas (I
          apologize if I'm not remembering this correctly). Is this true for
          everyone? Of course, Pupeno, you said you might be moving to Spain...
          Well, I'll just stop thinking about time zones for a moment.

          Anyway, Saturday or Sunday at anytime could also work for me as they
          are my most flexible days. And of course, we don't have to schedule
          chat sessions around my schedule. I'm just throwing out my
          information so we can get a handle on people's schedules.

          --
          Charles
        • Richard Michael
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 20, 2005
            > Oh, I'm sorry. I understand your point of view. I don't like Yahoo much
            > myself, but it offers what I currently need and I wanted to get this group
            > started ASAP.

            I understand; and it's not a problem. (It was my choice!)

            Re: Work timeline
            -----------------

            > So far, it seems we are going to make one video per week and we have 4
            > positive votes for having a chat.

            I'm fine with one video per week, at least to start. I propose we try
            that and if a consensus agrees that's too fast, we go slower.

            There aren't very many of us, so I don't think co-ordination will be
            difficult. I don't think there's an objective argument for a one video
            per week schedule. Though, I think working on a well paced timeline can
            help cultivate understanding, and also, we want to finish before next
            year!

            Personally, because I'm essentially new to Scheme and serious
            programming, I might discover that one video per week is too fast. Of
            course, I won't know until we start. So I don't have a strong opinion
            about the timeline.

            Re: IRC chat schedule
            ---------------------

            I think scheduling an IRC chat session after the video is a good idea.
            A set IRC schedule will benefit those of us who want to know when and
            where to find others who want to talk about the material.

            I'm fine with Monday, Wednesday, Friday or the weekend, but the time of
            day is a little more difficult.

            I'm in Toronto, that's EST (UTC-5; i.e. Greenwich-5).

            I think most of us are essentially in North/South America, so +/- a few
            hours from each other. But, IIRC, some people are on the east side of
            Atlantic.

            Richard
          • Peter Mechlenborg
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 21, 2005
              Charles Stanhope wrote:
              > By the way, are we all in the western hemisphere? Or do we have some
              > members who are in very different time zones?

              Well, I'm from Denmark, that's UTC/GMT +1 hour. I can make time for the
              chat sessions from 7 am. to 7 pm. GMT, maybe earlier. How does that fit in?

              By the way. I'm currently doing my master thesis in CS at a university
              in a city called Aarhus. I have skimmed through most of the book and
              seen the first video, but I have never done a thorough study of it, so
              I'm very glad to have the change.

              Peter
            • Neil Jerram
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 21, 2005
                Charles Stanhope wrote:

                > By the way, are we all in the western hemisphere? Or do we have some
                > members who are in very different time zones? It seems everyone that
                > introduced themselves and gave a location were in the Americas (I
                > apologize if I'm not remembering this correctly). Is this true for
                > everyone? Of course, Pupeno, you said you might be moving to Spain...
                > Well, I'll just stop thinking about time zones for a moment.

                I am in the UK, but I wouldn't want to inconvenience everyone else on my
                account alone. If there are more Europeans than just me, though, that
                might be a good reason for holding the chats at the weekend.

                Regards,
                Neil
              • Lucas Di Pentima
                Message 7 of 11 , Mar 22, 2005
                  Richard Michael wrote:

                  > I understand; and it's not a problem. (It was my choice!)
                  [...]
                  > Re: IRC chat schedule
                  > ---------------------
                  >
                  > I think scheduling an IRC chat session after the video is a good idea.
                  > A set IRC schedule will benefit those of us who want to know when and
                  > where to find others who want to talk about the material.
                  [...]

                  I also agree with the idea of the IRC meetings, but at least in my case,
                  I know it will be very difficult to attend to all meetings, it would be
                  *very* nice if someone can build a log of every IRC meeting, and later
                  publish them somewhere, what do you think?

                  Cheers
                  --
                  Lucas Di Pentima - Santa Fe, Argentina - Jabber ID: lucas@...
                  LUNIX: Soluciones en GNU/Linux - http://www.lunix.com.ar
                  Message 8 of 11 , Mar 22, 2005
                    > I also agree with the idea of the IRC meetings, but at least in my case,
                    > I know it will be very difficult to attend to all meetings, it would be
                    > *very* nice if someone can build a log of every IRC meeting, and later
                    > publish them somewhere, what do you think?

                    I'm planning to log the IRC sessions.

                    I'm much less experienced than most on this list -- so if someone posts
                    something complex or insightful, I want it around to review!

                    I can post the log back to the mailing if there's a high demand; or I
                    can email to individuals if there's less demand.

                    (I just have to figure out how to get epic to log, but I'm sure that's
                    just a 10 minute investigation.)

                    Richard
                  • Pupeno
                    • Pascal J.Bourguignon
                      Message 10 of 11 , Mar 23, 2005
                        Lucas Di Pentima writes:
                        > I also agree with the idea of the IRC meetings, but at least in my case,
                        > I know it will be very difficult to attend to all meetings, it would be
                        > *very* nice if someone can build a log of every IRC meeting, and later
                        > publish them somewhere, what do you think?

                        I've send an email asking for #sicp to be added to the channels logged
                        by meme.b9.com.

                      • Pascal J.Bourguignon
                        Message 11 of 11 , Mar 23, 2005
                          Pascal J.Bourguignon writes:
                          > Lucas Di Pentima writes:
                          > > I also agree with the idea of the IRC meetings, but at least in my case,
                          > > I know it will be very difficult to attend to all meetings, it would be
                          > > *very* nice if someone can build a log of every IRC meeting, and later
                          > > publish them somewhere, what do you think?
                          >
                          > I've send an email asking for #sicp to be added to the channels logged
                          > by meme.b9.com.

                          The irc:irc.freenode.org/#sicp channel is now logged by meme.b9.com:

                          http://meme.b9.com/channels.html