Ackermann; benchmarking

  • Philip Ansteth
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2005
      I looked at
      http://www-mitpress.mit.edu/sicp/errata.html
      but didn't find anything to do with Ackermann.

      However, I did find some references to Ackermann's function
      in a couple websites about benchmarking. Apparently it is used to
      give a workout to a language's function call mechanism.

      See
      http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/bwk/interps/pap.html
      and
      http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/benchmark.php?test=ackermann&lang=all&sort=lines

      But both these websites used the Wolfram definition of
      Ackermann's funtion, not SICP's.

      I don't have a clue about whether this discrepancy makes any
      difference or not. I'm guessing it does NOT make any significant
      difference in regard to benchmarking.

      But SICP's authors do not present Ackermann's function as a
      benchmarking tool.

      It remains puzzling to me that, in an otherwise liberally footnoted
      text, there is no reference provided for further inquiry in this
      case.