347Re: [sicp-vsg] Simple Editor(s)?

  • Philip Ansteth
    Apr 1, 2006
      I concur that emacs is an excellent choice for someone
      just starting out. The other good choice
      for an editor is vi. I used vi for many years and
      am now about five years into emacs.

      You should not skimp on editing skills. It's a
      mistake to look for shortcuts.

      I think Emacs is easier to learn than vi, and it
      ties you into a Lisp-aware culture in a way that
      vi does not.

      You have to choose one or the other: don't try to
      learn both. If I had it to do over again, I probably
      would not have taken the trouble to change from
      vi to emacs. But, having done so, I'm certainly not
      going to change back.

      Either way, try to train yourself NOT to use the mouse
      nor even the arrow keys unless you have to. A
      skilled touch typist with a powerful editor like emacs
      or vi is just a lot faster than somebody who depends
      on the mouse for most everything.

      Check out Dave Thomas's comments on editors in the
      book, The Pragmatic Programmer.

      Also, for a demo of what a skilled Emacs user can
      do, look at Marco Baringer's "hello-world.mov" at
      http://common-lisp.net/project/ucw/documentation.html.

      --- Michael Micek <zarchne@...> wrote:

      > On Sat, Apr 01, 2006 at 12:58:46PM +0200, Pascal
      > Bourguignon wrote:
      >
      > > > As such, my time and brain power are at a
      > premium, and I
      > > > don't relish the idea of learing anything along
      > the lines of emacs
      > > > just to get my parentheses balanced. Is there
      > any brave sould out
      > > > there willing to admit they use a "Scheme for
      > Dummies" type editor,
      > > > and would you mind telling me what it is?
      >
      > I do most of my editting in vi, but I still use
      > Emacs for
      > messing around with Scheme. But then, I also
      > learned the
      > basic Emacs keybindings a long time ago. I am
      > guessing by
      > "for dummies" you probably mean "where C-a means
      > 'select
      > all' not 'go to the beginning of the line'"?
      >
      > > Launch emacs, type C-h t (that is: control-h,
      > then: t) and read the
      > > tutorial. That's all you need to know, as a
      > dummy, to use emacs.
      >
      > There's also a page on the Community Scheme Wiki
      > dedicated
      > to getting up to speed on editting Scheme in Emacs
      > as
      > quickly as possible:
      >
      > http://community.schemewiki.org/?emacs-tutorial
      >
      > Hm. Needs work. Of course.