RE: [sibelius-list] Ossia Ledger Lines

  • Adrian Drover
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 1 12:08 AM
      > From: John Howell
      >
      > P.S. I'm afraid I don't have a clue what ABASM stands for. Perhaps
      > I'd understand if I did.

      It's ABRSM, John, and stands for Associated Board of the Royal Schools of
      Music.

      See http://www.abrsm.org/?page=home

      A.
    • Mike Mansbridge
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 1 12:38 AM

        Hi John,

        The ABRSM (Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music) sets graded exams for training musicians up to I suppose conservatoire entry level. It prescribes pieces for these exams, and also very helpfully publishes these pieces in anthologies itself.

        Much of the content is edited, so you will often find an ornament - a turn or a shake or whatever, with a single line ossia staff above it, with a suggested execution of that ornament described

        Go to here:

        Scroll to the image at the bottom and click on it. You'll see a few examples of what I mean,
        but I couldn't find any examples with ledger lines, but they exist, and that's my problem.

        I suppose my question ought to read like this:

        You know how you can select to have a single line ossia? Well, can you choose which of the five lines it is?

        Make sense?

        Ta, M

      • Adrian Drover
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 1 1:27 AM
          From: Mike Mansbridge

          > You know how you can select to have a single line ossia?

          Hi Mike,

          You didn't answer my question on how you select a single line ossia. I
          don't see any way to achieve that in Sib6 other than manufacturing it from a
          percussion staff and hiding the before and after parts of the staff. I'm
          sure that's not what you are doing.

          > Well, can you choose which of the five lines it is?

          If it is in fact a percussion staff you are using, I believe the single line
          is the middle line of the treble staff and can't be altered, but I may be
          wrong.

          A.
        • Mike Mansbridge
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 1 2:25 AM

            Hi Adrian,

            I'm going, House Style, Edit Instrument, highlighting Unnamed (treble stave), clicking "New", then "Yes".

            Leaving the Staff type at "piched", click Edit Staff Type, then "Number of Staff Lines" = 1, then uncheck everybox apart from "Used for Ossias".

            To create an Ossia in the part, I highlight the area, right click, create, then Ossia Above. This brings a 5-line Ossia stave. I then do an instrument change to my new one-line version, which then throws up the question of how to get it to pick my one-line version by default?

            I've  also found that, suppose you have more than one of these ossia fragments on the same system, adding them one by one is not the way to go, because Sibelius stacks, in effect, one partially hidden extra stave on top of another. What you have to do, is add an ossia stave that covers the whole line, and blank out the bits you don't need by doing an instrument change to an "invisible" ossia, which you make by doing what I did in the first paragraph, except that "Number of Staff Lines" = 0.

            So the bugger is, when it asks you how many lines you want in this staff, it lets you pick only one line, but it has to be, as I think you said, the middle one. I either have to use your suggestion of custom noteheads that sit on or in the middle of a line (which is fiddly, and next to impossible, at least for me, to align), or I just zoom in on the offending ossia, turn off magnetic lines, make my own line of similar width, and draw the little sods in myself.

          • Adrian Drover
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 1 6:56 AM
              From: Mike Mansbridge

              So the bugger is, when it asks you how many lines you want in this staff, it
              lets you pick only one line, but it has to be, as I think you said, the
              middle one. I either have to use your suggestion of custom noteheads that
              sit on or in the middle of a line (which is fiddly, and next to impossible,
              at least for me, to align), or I just zoom in on the offending ossia, turn
              off magnetic lines, make my own line of similar width, and draw the little
              sods in myself.

              Seems like an awful lot of hard graft to me, Mike. I wonder if the legers
              are absolutely necessary. After all, it's only the shape of the ornament
              that's important. Do they have to playback, and at the proper pitch?

              A.
            • Robert A FRANKLIN
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 1 11:14 PM
                Would the 8va, 15va line be a solution?

              • mikemansbridge@rocketmail.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 2 3:36 AM
                  > Would the 8va, 15va line be a solution?

                  Hi Robert, that's an intriguing idea. I'll try it when I have a bit of time. Thanks for that.

                  And yes, Adrian, it does have to be exact, because this is for an online thing offically associated with the ABRSM, (who'll be proofing it) - and my brief was, "just copy it exactly".

                  Great.

                • Adrian Drover
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 2 5:51 AM
                    > From: mikemansbridge@...
                    >
                    > And yes, Adrian, it does have to be exact, because this is for an online
                    thing offically
                    > associated with the ABRSM, (who'll be proofing it) - and my brief was,
                    "just copy it exactly".

                    Just like Syd Lawrence's transcriptions from Glenn Miller recordings; exact,
                    regardless of original goofs.

                    A.