SAVE THE DATE FOR DON HANCHON - - from Mike Mullins

  • Anthony Campbell
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 22, 2011
      SAVE THE DATE FOR DON HANCHON

      Each year, the International Institute of Metropolitan Detroit holds its Heritage Hall of Fame Dinner. The purpose of the Heritage Hall of Fame is to recognize exceptional leaders from various ethnic backgrounds who have made outstanding contributions to the American way of life, who have demonstrated their commitment to multiculturalism, and who have generously supported ethnic and cultural traditions. Our good friend Donald Hanchon is a 2011 recipient. The awards dinner will be held on November 15, 2011at the Marriott Hotel in the Renaissance Center, Detroit, Michigan. I will be there and hope to see many of you.

      The 2011 awardees who will be honored on the 15th include; Dennis Archer, Maura D. Corrigan, Nawal Hamadeh, Bishop Donald Hanchon, Mariam C. Noland, Jonathan Swift, Jonas Urbonas (posthumously), and Francisco Torre, Jr. and the "Emerging Leader" for 2011 is Steve P. Tobocman. The past honorees are proudly displayed at the Hall of Fame Gallery located at Cobo Hall.

      The cost for the dinner is $150. This annual event raises funds that support the International Institute's programs that include the following.
       Immigration Services to help legalize and maintain its clients' status in the U.S., including renewal of non-immigrant visas, reunification of families, and giving assistance to victims of domestic violence and natural disasters. Served over 2,500 individuals in 2010-11.
       Cultural Education Services provides ethnic troupes, performers, crafters, dancers, storytellers, language instructors, and historians to conduct presentations and demonstrations on Cultural Awareness, Global Learning, Ethnic Enrichment, and Cultural Performances. Served over 31,000 adults and 14,000 children in 2010-11.
       Educational Outreach Services conduct Citizenship, Project Achievement, Foreign Language, English as a Second Language and Financial Literacy classes. Served over 750 individuals in 2010-11.
      The International Institute is located at 111 East Kirby, Detroit,, MI 48201. It is across the street from the Detroit Institute of Arts. It began in 1919 when a group of YWCA volunteers sought to help immigrants.
      I hope to see you at the dinner. Additional information will be sent in the future. For now, I just want to let you know to save the date.

      Sincerely,
      Mike Mullins