Christmas Candles Poem

  • THOMAS CZARNIK
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 23, 2009

      To all SHS Classmates and family --

      A rather sober poem that ends optimistically I think.  Inspired by reading William Blake and visiting relatives in nursing homes this holiday season.  Hope you have a blessed peaceful Christmas and a healthy happy New Year.  Tom Czarnik

      Christmas Candles 2009

      By Thomas J. Czarnik

                12/23/2009

      I saw a thousand candles burning in the night

      A most amazing spectacle of light

      That stretched my eye into the distant deep

      Where broken stars were piled high into a heap.

      Of all the candles that I saw

      Some were tall, but many small

      Had self-consumed their time

      And on bended flame accompany the chime

      Of silver bells around the casket cool

      With incense rising from a molten pool.

      I wondered at the sight so bright

      And then was filled with fright

      What motive could their votive be?

      For they seemed like me

      Destined to eternity.

      I saw a billion candles burning out in endless space

      Each one a beaming flickering feeling face

      Moment by moment melting away

      On fire for a day

      In such a strange and shadowy place.

      Body of wax, spirit of wick

      Healthy, hearty, yet so many sick

      Candles of color, pale and sallow

      Candles from beehive or animal tallow.

      Younger and older

      Too hot to touch

      Harder and colder

      Some shaped like a crutch

      Short-lived and long

      Feeble and strong

      Distinguished, extinguished

      All fated to fade and smolder

      All suffering so much to thrive and survive,

      Maintaining the pain of burning alive.

      Short and stubby, graceful and lean

      Christmas candles everywhere I’ve seen

      And still the thoughts persist

      How long can one go on, exist?

      The breath of Death

      Provides the needed air

      And yet its sudden gust would test

      Could put to rest

      (Snuff out no doubt)

      The Life I share.

      A spark that disappears into the dark

      A flash then quickly ash

      A taper wrapped in paper

      A fuse that sputters at the end

      Is this our core

      And nothing more?

      But then

      I saw an earthly shroud

      A ghostly cloud of resurrected smoke

      That almost made me choke

      Until I realized to my surprise:

      A trillion eyes once all ablaze

      Became a lunar halo, aura-glow

      Ascended to the skies

      Dissolved as One

      Into a Heavenly haze

      Around the Candle of the Sun.

    • rmsable@catholicexchange.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 27, 2009
        Tom
        Thanks for sharing the poem - it was refreshing and inspiring.
        A grace filled New year to you and your family.
        Bob Sable

        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 28, 2009
          Thanks, Bob  -- Best to you and yours in the coming year.  Tom

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 25, 2010

            Hi classmates,

            I have a request from Gerry Laporte, a year ahead of us, and someone else (one of his classmates, I believe) to join our egroup. Do we want to open up the group or restrict it to classmates only?

            Tony

          • csbaj@comcast.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 25, 2010

              I personally don't have a problem with opening our little group up...it's not like we number in the thousands.

              Doesn't his class have their own organization?

              Chuck Bajnai

              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 25, 2010
                Nor do I have a problem.  Our class always demonstrated leadership and a level of elan desired by the other classes.

                Just make sure to remind him of the $500/year membership fee.

                Tom Cavanagh

              • j_d_mcnamara@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 25, 2010
                  Nice idea, Tom!!!