Garry Heckman

  • Tony Campbell
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 18 7:46 PM

      Classmates,

      My sincere apologies for not passing on the note below from Bruce. I thought it had gone out to the group.

      Garry passed away this afternoon, July 18. May he rest in peace.

      Tony

      From: "Bruce Forintos"
      Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 11:01:31 -0400
      To: Mary Campbell<soupysmom@...>
      Subject: Garry Heckman in Hospice

      Tony and Mary,

      We returned home from vacation to discover that Garry Heckman is under hospice care at his home in West Branch, Michigan .  He has been fighting melanoma for several years which has now spread throughout his body.  Could you please get the word out to our classmates and ask them to keep Garry and Irene in their prayers.

      Bruce Forintos

    • j_d_mcnamara@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 19 5:28 AM
        How sad. Thanks for keeping us informed. I'll keep his family in prayer out here in the desert.

        From: "Bruce Forintos"
        Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 11:01:31 -0400
        To: Mary Campbell<soupysmom@yahoo. com>

        Tony and Mary,

        We returned home from vacation to discover that Garry Heckman is under hospice care at his home in West Branch, Michigan .  He has been fighting melanoma for several years which has now spread throughout his body.  Could you please get the word out to our classmates and ask them to keep Garry and Irene in their prayers.

        Bruce Forintos

      • Daniel Bramos
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 19 5:33 PM
          Tony--thanks for letting us know. Garry was a good friend and a great guy. May his soul rest in peace, and we will also keep him and his family in our prayers.

          Dan & Annette

          From: "Bruce Forintos"
          Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 11:01:31 -0400
          To: Mary Campbell<soupysmom@yahoo. com>

          Tony and Mary,

          We returned home from vacation to discover that Garry Heckman is under hospice care at his home in West Branch, Michigan .  He has been fighting melanoma for several years which has now spread throughout his body.  Could you please get the word out to our classmates and ask them to keep Garry and Irene in their prayers.

          Bruce Forintos

        • Msgr. Patrick Halfpenny
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 20 7:29 AM

            Dear Friends,

            May God grant Gary eternal rest.

            Has anyone Irene’s address?  If anyone is in contact with Irene, please let her know that I’ll remember Gary and her at Mass tomorrow morning.

            In His peace,

            Pat

          • Tony Campbell
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 20 7:58 AM

              This is the contact info I have as of the last reunion, which matches a google phone book search.  Tony

              303 S. 8th St.

              West Branch MI  48661-1209

              (989) 345-3423

              gheckman3@...

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 25 6:37 AM

                Passing this on from John O.   Irene’s address is:

                303 S. 8th St.

                West Branch MI  48661-1209

                (989) 345-3423

                Tony,

                Thanks for the update information.  My phone number has changed to 906-250-4799.

                Don't know if you have heard, but Garry Heckman died last week.  He fought with a brain tumor for the last couple of years and it finally took him.  He is another example of "the good die young."  He worked for the State for a number of years and then Community Mental Health in West Branch.  I can attest that he maintained a Christ-like giving of himself to the end.

                There will be a memorial service in West Branch next Sat. August 1st.  Anyone needing specifics- please contact me.

                John Olesnavage

              • tczarnik1@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 28 12:54 PM

                  Thoughts of Garry Heckman and other classmates who have graduated to a "much better place" bring to mind Paul McCartney's recent album "Memory Almost Full."  A number of wonderfully provocative pieces include "My Ever Present Past," "End of The End," "You Tell Me," "Vintage Clothes," and "That was Me."  All the songs on this recent disk were especially inspiring and joyful in a distinctively Beatlesque way.  Thanks to Paul Wilhelm for introducing me to this blast from the present.

                  With blessings to all of us, both the living and the living-ever-after.

                  Tom Czarnik

                  P.S.: See lyrics to "End of The End" as well as following links to Paul M.'s great websites.

                  http://www.memoryalmostfull.com/

                  http://www.paulmccartney.com/

                  Lyrics to End Of The End by Paul McCartney

                  At the end of the end
                  It's the start of a journey
                  To a much better place
                  And this wasn't bad
                  So a much better place
                  would have to be special
                  No need to be sad

                  On the day that I die I'd like jokes to be told
                  And stories of old to be rolled out like carpets
                  That children have played on
                  And laid on while listening to stories of old

                  At the end of the end
                  It's the start of a journey
                  To a much better place
                  And a much better place
                  Would have to be special
                  No reason to cry
                  http://www.free-lyrics.org

                  (whistling)

                  On the day that I die I'd like bells to be rung
                  And songs that were sung to be hung out like blankets
                  That lovers have played on
                  And laid on while listening to songs that were sung

                  At the end of the end
                  It's the start of a journey
                  To a much better place
                  And a much better place
                  Would have to be special
                  No reason to cry
                  No need to be sad
                  At the end of the end

                • pj1947@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 30 7:51 AM
                    I grieve along with everyone else over the passing of Gary. He was a good friend. He was a Christ-like example. I am sure he is with the Lord now. God bless you, Irene, and everyone else.

                    Paul Wilhelm

                    Passing this on from John O.   Irene’s address is:
                    303 S. 8th St.
                    West Branch MI  48661-1209
                    (989) 345-3423

                    Tony,

                    Thanks for the update information.  My phone number has changed to 906-250-4799.

                    Don't know if you have heard, but Garry Heckman died last week.  He fought with a brain tumor for the last couple of years and it finally took him.  He is another example of "the good die young."  He worked for the State for a number of years and then Community Mental Health in West Branch.  I can attest that he maintained a Christ-like giving of himself to the end.

                    There will be a memorial service in West Branch next Sat. August 1st.  Anyone needing specifics- please contact me.

                    John Olesnavage& nbsp;

                  • pj1947@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 31 2:54 PM
                      Hey Tom,
                         Very nice use of the Paul McCartney lyrics....very appropriate. Someone should do a memorial to Gary at the reunion and use that song. Something to think about. Later on, we could talk to Irene about it. Not now.

                      Paul