What I did on my summer vacation, how about you?

  • Mark Johannes
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 4, 2008
      Dear friends

      below is a link to an achievement of mine from this summer. It's in
      addition to the new bakery I will be opening after the below mentioned
      event.

      http://www.loveyourraisins.com/professionals/manufacturing/baking/

      And remember there's always free bread and other baked goodies for
      anyone who drops by to visit.

      Mark
      The Back Yard Baker
    • Chuck Bajnai
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 5, 2008

        Congrats.  I hope to see you on the Food Network.

        Chuck Bajnai

        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 5, 2008

          Mark,

          I volunteer Mary to run the Michigan franchise of your bakery.  Or you could send us samples to pass out wherever we go – one for me, one for you, one for me …

          Congrats!

          Tony

        • THOMAS CZARNIK
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 6, 2008

            Mark,  As the stock market drops another 500 points, the thought of Marie Antoinette saying "Let them eat cake" comes to mind.  At least it's good to know someone out there who can keep us from starving if things really get bad.  By the way, Elaine and I will be in Prague next week to sample some of the Czech Republic's wonderful pastries.  Any recommendations?  Tom

            PS:  I like to bake corn bread and banana nut bread.  Any openings?

            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 6, 2008

              Congratulations, Mark.  My big achievement is I took a walk. (well, I went hiking in Olympic National Park)

              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 6, 2008
                -Tom

                below is a response fromm a fellow Guild member who recently vivited
                Prague.

                Re: Czech Republic

                A brilliant coincidence! Last spring I was in Prague with my high
                school choir. While wandering the streets one day, we happened upon
                this here bakery: http://www.bakeshop.cz/whats-cooking-en/bread.html
                BEST sourdough I've ever had. They were quite friendly, and the place
                was not nearly as overcrowded as many European bakeries. The address
                and such are in the link, hope that helps!

                Jack Vishneski
                Kendall Student
                Chicago IL

                > Mark
                > The Back Yard Baker

              • THOMAS CZARNIK
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 8, 2008
                  Thanks, Mark.  Look forward to enjoying a new cultural and culinary experience.  Tom

                  below is a response fromm a fellow Guild member who recently vivited
                  Prague.

                  Re: Czech Republic

                  A brilliant coincidence! Last spring I was in Prague with my high
                  school choir. While wandering the streets one day, we happened upon
                  this here bakery: http://www.bakeshop .cz/whats- cooking-en/ bread.html
                  BEST sourdough I've ever had. They were quite friendly, and the place
                  was not nearly as overcrowded as many European bakeries. The address
                  and such are in the link, hope that helps!

                  Jack Vishneski
                  Kendall Student
                  Chicago IL

                  > Mark
                  > The Back Yard Baker

                • Mark Johannes
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 12, 2008
                    --- In shs65-69@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Johannes" <markajohannes@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Dear friends
                    >
                    > below is a link to an achievement of mine from this summer. It's in
                    > addition to the new bakery I will be opening after the below
                    mentioned
                    > event.
                    >
                    > http://www.loveyourraisins.com/professionals/manufacturing/baking/
                    >
                    > And remember there's always free bread and other baked goodies for
                    > anyone who drops by to visit.
                    >
                    > Mark
                    > The Back Yard Baker

                    Just a follow up om the Raisin Bread Contest - Let's just say the if
                    experience is a good teacher I learned a LOT this past weekend. The
                    judges liked my product. It was good among some awesome ( in the real
                    sense of the word) baking.

                    When I saw what some of the other bakers were pulling out of the oven
                    I realized I was way outclassed.

                    Thanks for all the good wishes. And the bakery is officially open as
                    well.

                    Mark
                  • Chuck Bajnai
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 13, 2008

                      Mark,

                      Your accomplishments are exciting.  Keep us posted if you are going to be on the Food Channel.  We watch it 24-7

                      Chuck Bajnai

                      href="http://www.loveyourraisins.com/professionals/manufacturing/baking/">http://www.loveyour raisins.com/ professionals/ manufacturing/ baking/

                      > And remember there's always free bread and other baked goodies for
                      > anyone who drops by to visit.
                      >
                      > Mark
                      > The Back Yard Baker

                      Just a follow up om the Raisin Bread Contest - Let's just say the if
                      experience is a good teacher I learned a LOT this past weekend. The
                      judges liked my product. It was good among some awesome ( in the real
                      sense of the word) baking.

                      When I saw what some of the other bakers were pulling out of the oven
                      I realized I was way outclassed.

                      Thanks for all the good wishes. And the bakery is officially open as
                      well.

                      Mark

                    • Damitio, James
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 14, 2008

                        Mark,

                        What is the location of the new bakery?

                        Jim Damitio

                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 14, 2008
                          Jim, Chuck et al,
                          Unfortunately my baking endeavors will not be on TV any time soon.
                          The California Raisin Board folks said they are working on getting
                          coverage for the contest for 2009. I will be trying to get into it
                          then again.

                          The Back Yard Baker is located literally in my back yard. I'll see if
                          I can get a few photos posted.

                          And by the way on a slightly more serious note, while I've got every
                          body's attention, I've got a prayer request. Bonnie has developed
                          atrial Fibrillation which caused her heart beat to go to 150+ BPM
                          last night.

                          She is currently in the local coronary care unit. At the moment she's
                          doing OK but her BPM is being controlled with drugs. It's still too
                          high.

                          There's an echo cardiogram scheduled for the AM. If
                          conditions are right the cardiologist will try to shock her heart
                          into regular rythm. If not there will be other paths to take. I'll
                          post results tomorrow.

                          Thanks for the prayers.

                          Mark

                        • Chuck Bajnai
                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 15, 2008

                            We will pray for her successful return to good health.

                            Chuck Bajnai

                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 15, 2008

                              I will include her in my prayers as well.

                              Jim Damitio

                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 15, 2008
                                  Dear Mark--You and Bonnie will be in our prayers as well.

                                  But not to worry too much--I was diagnosed with A-fib about 15 years ago, and have been taking 2 little pills daily to maintain the heartbeat at a regular rate. And as long as I stay away from the few vices that I have--alcohol, chocolate and most anything with caffeine, my heart keeps a constant rhythm--most of the time. I feel a little flutter every once in a while, but nothing serious enough to be hospitalized. I recently had an echocardiagram, and they said my heart is normal.

                                  So, we wish you well and hope that Bonnie is home soon.

                                  Dan

                                  We hope you have a superfantasticexcellentgreatday!

                                  Dan     & Annette  Bramos
                                  Trailer Life Directory Consultants
                                  2575 Vista Del Mar
                                  Ventura, CA 93001
                                  cell 614-332-1230
                                  800-765-7070 ext 125
                                  Fax 805-667-4301

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 15, 2008
                                    Mark,
                                    My prayers will be with both of you.  I am sure things will go well.

                                    Ed Theisen

                                    To: shs65-69@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: csbaj@...
                                    Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 07:31:28 -0500

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 16, 2008
                                        > And by the way on a slightly more serious note, while I've got
                                        every
                                        > body's attention, I've got a prayer request. Bonnie has developed
                                        > atrial Fibrillation which caused her heart beat to go to 150+ BPM
                                        > last night.
                                        >
                                        > She is currently in the local coronary care unit. At the moment
                                        she's
                                        > doing OK but her BPM is being controlled with drugs. It's still too
                                        > high.
                                        >
                                        > There's an echo cardiogram scheduled for the AM. If
                                        > conditions are right the cardiologist will try to shock her heart
                                        > into regular rythm. If not there will be other paths to take. I'll
                                        > post results tomorrow.
                                        >
                                        > Thanks for the prayers.
                                        >
                                        > Mark

                                        The latest on Bonnie is that she will be released in the AM of the
                                        17th. She has a follow up with a cardiologist in a couple of weeks.
                                        The fibrillation is fine but she may have surgery for leaking mytral
                                        valve that apparently is serious. I'll be in touch with those results
                                        when we learn more.

                                        Again thanks for the prayers.

                                        Mark and Bonnie
                                      • pj1947@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Oct 17, 2008
                                          Mark:
                                             Will be in prayer for Bonnie. I understand what you go through.

                                          Paul