Thoughts and Prayers for Art Schaffran

  • THOMAS CZARNIK
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2 9:09 AM
      April 2, 2006

      Amici,

      Yesterday Elaine and I visited with Art Schaffran, former faculty and principal or CMLS. Art has been in an out of the hospital since our reunion in October. He's lost a lot of weight and is struggling with severe vascular problems. You can reach him and his wife Patti at their home in Brighton (810-227-8413). Know both Art and Patti would appreciate any kind words of encouragement.

      In the shadow of many recent illnesses and deaths among friends and family, these words of Walt Whitman ("Song of the Open Road") come to mind:

      Allons! the road is before us!
      It is safe- I have tried it- my own feet have tried it well- be not detain'd

      Let the paper remain on the desk unwritten, and the book on the shelf unopen'd!
      Let the tools remain in the workshop! let the money remain unearn'd!
      Let the school stand! mind not the cry of the teacher!
      Let the preacher preach in his pulpit! let the lawyer plead in the
      court, and the judge expound the law.
      Camerado, I give you my hand!

      I give you my love more precious than money,
      I give you myself before preaching or law;
      Will you give me yourself. will you come travel with me?
      Shall we stick by each other as long as we live?

      Love and peace to all members of the Mystical Body of Christ,

      Tom Czarnik