Re: Discovery of an alternative Tenjiku Shogi piece

  • mjwciw
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2008
      This new piece seems quite interesting, exotic and unusual, which may
      explain its inclusion in Tenjiku.

      I have a couple of questions:

      1) Does the author of the article state the origin of this piece?
      Does he/she represent it as being of the same antiquity as Tenjiku,
      or is it a more modern invention?

      2) This piece promotes to a Vertical Mover, however the Iron General
      (which it replaces) promotes to a Vertical Soldier, and the Silver
      General also promotes to a Vertical Mover. Is this correct?

      3) Does the Battering Ram consume momentum with the first piece it
      captures during a ramming move? If the answer is yes then this would
      lead to the result that it could not take a piece exactly two squares
      forward, as it would have only one point of momentum and would
      shatter as it attempted to take this piece.

      4) You state that promotion is compulsory if it ends its move intact
      on the first rank. However I understand that the rule in Shogi was
      that promotion was only compulsory if failure to promote meant that
      it could make no other move. For the Battering Ram on the last rank
      it would still have an orthogonal sideways move. (Of course it would
      always be more rational to promote this piece at the last rank.)

      5) If a ramming move leaves the piece in the promotion-zone, can it
      escape the rule about not moving again for a number of turns equal to
      its momentum by promoting at the end of its move? EG if a Ram
      acquires 4 points of momentum during its ramming move, and promotes
      on completion of that move, must the promoted piece wait for its four
      moves, or can it move immediately?

      Malcolm Webb
    • Colin Paul Adams
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 30, 2008

        Colin> Two months ago, my wife (who is Chinese, and doesn't read
        ==============
        Colin> kana), showed me an article about Tenjiku Shogi. We have
        Colin> finally managed to finish translating it.

        I'm surprised that no-one noticed the date of this email of mine.

        20080601.

        Subtract 2 months and you might understand a bit more about the
        historicity.

        P.S.

        Does anyone have any high-quality images (preferably vector graphics)
        of Chu Shogi pieces?
        --
        Colin Adams
        Preston Lancashire