Discovery through a seemingly endless journey

  • Moon LaFleur
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2005
      I had been searching for a long while for somewhere to belong. Raised Christian I never felt like I fit in anywhere, my beliefs and sentiments matched none of those taught to me by religious and even academic leaders. I found family in plants and animals and saw life in stones and dirt and air. Overtime I discovered Native American religions and studied a certain few of those to an extent before once again discovering that it was not the firefly that would light my path. So again I searched and came across buddhism. I liked it far more and it made far more sense, but still something was missing and I searched long and hard and came upon wicca. To those of you who find yourself being Wiccans or knowing wiccans, please do not take offense for I do not mean it as such, but I found Wicca itself to be lewd bastardization of the old ways, something that was neither true to me nor seemingly to itself. Again I searched, and amusingly enough, it was through such animes as Sailor Moon and
      Inuyasha that I discovered this ancient and most sensical way of life called Shinto. I began reading a watching whatever I could to find more. And in doing so I found my home. I had always believed that a culmination of strong emotions could come together to give rise to a oni, though all others around me thought me whimsical and stuck in a fantasy world. But Shinto, Shinto was that firefly I had been searching for. I have found myself, my home, and my heart in Shinto. Never with anything have I felt so content in anything. Before I found Shinto, I had been looking at the Japanese way of life and found it to make so much more sense than the way Americans live. Something so simple as the principle of amae made such simple sense to me.

      I know I have rambled on here for quite a bit, and simply saying, Shinto wa watashi no kokoro desu.

      Onna-no-rekishi

    • wildrose192003
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4, 2005
        It's not too surprising that watching anime lead you to Shinto.
        I think that happens to a lot of people. My intro to anime was
        Sailor Moon, and since I knew practically zilch about Shinto then, I
        had absolutely no idea what was Raye was supposed to be at her
        grandfather's temple. Now I know that she's a miko. Maybe the miko
        of the old days were more shamanistic, but nowadays most seem to be
        no more than "altar girls." I recommend anyone who likes anime to
        learn about Shinto, if for no other reason than to understand its
        influence on Japanese culture.

        Love and blessings,

        Anna

        --- In shintothenaturalreligion@yahoogroups.com, Moon LaFleur
        <moonlafleur@y...> wrote:
        > I had been searching for a long while for somewhere to belong.
        Raised Christian I never felt like I fit in anywhere, my beliefs and
        sentiments matched none of those taught to me by religious and even
        academic leaders. I found family in plants and animals and saw life
        in stones and dirt and air. Overtime I discovered Native American
        religions and studied a certain few of those to an extent before once
        again discovering that it was not the firefly that would light my
        path. So again I searched and came across buddhism. I liked it far
        more and it made far more sense, but still something was missing and
        I searched long and hard and came upon wicca. To those of you who
        find yourself being Wiccans or knowing wiccans, please do not take
        offense for I do not mean it as such, but I found Wicca itself to be
        lewd bastardization of the old ways, something that was neither true
        to me nor seemingly to itself. Again I searched, and amusingly
        enough, it was through such animes as Sailor Moon and
        > Inuyasha that I discovered this ancient and most sensical way of
        life called Shinto. I began reading a watching whatever I could to
        find more. And in doing so I found my home. I had always believed
        that a culmination of strong emotions could come together to give
        rise to a oni, though all others around me thought me whimsical and
        stuck in a fantasy world. But Shinto, Shinto was that firefly I had
        been searching for. I have found myself, my home, and my heart in
        Shinto. Never with anything have I felt so content in anything.
        Before I found Shinto, I had been looking at the Japanese way of life
        and found it to make so much more sense than the way Americans live.
        Something so simple as the principle of amae made such simple sense
        to me.

        > I know I have rambled on here for quite a bit, and simply saying,
        Shinto wa watashi no kokoro desu.

        > Onna-no-rekishi

      • seekerofkami
        Message 3 of 3 , May 20, 2005
          It was pretty much the same for me. I'm new to this group, and was
          glad to find it.

          I watched "Haibane" over and over to find out what it was that
          appealed to my spiritual nature. Something other than good art and
          drama was drawing me to it. Other anime did the same, and although I
          studied eastern religions in college Shinto was not one I spent any
          time on. Mostly Buddhism. But as I came to realize what the spiritual
          aspect that drew me was, I began to search in earnest for what Shinto
          really is. Wow.

          It began to make sense to me why I feel the way I do when I walk in
          the woods, especially when I sit beside a river. Water has held a
          major role in my spiritual practicefor a long time. Imagine how I felt
          when I found out the place it holds in Shinto.

          Shoichi

          --- In shintothenaturalreligion@yahoogroups.com, "wildrose192003"