Hello

  • ananakai
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 5, 2003
      Hi,

      I wanted to know more about shinto beliefs. In highschool I studied
      Japanese and would like to know more. I will be reading the archives
      and trying to find out more

      Ana
    • Rhistel Eveningfall
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 19, 2005
        My name is Joel, and I have been in search of my spiritual path for a
        good long while. I have recently been trying to research things about
        Shinto, because it has interested my quite a bit. My main question is
        it possible for Americans to be Shinto?

        Joel
      • shrinesmaiden
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 31, 2005
          --- In shintothenaturalreligion@yahoogroups.com, "Rhistel Eveningfall"
          <rhisteleveningfall@g...> wrote:

          > My name is Joel, and I have been in search of my spiritual path for a
          > good long while. I have recently been trying to research things about
          > Shinto, because it has interested my quite a bit. My main question is
          > it possible for Americans to be Shinto?
          >
          > Joel

          I was curious about the same thing. I'm very interested in the Shinto
          views and beliefs. What I feel is that even though Shinto is a Japanese
          religion I've always had the belief in the kami though I'm not sure if
          it is even ok to call myself shinto. I'll probably check back on this
          board myself in hopes to see others views on the topic.
        • Moon LaFleur
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 31, 2005
            I truly belive its possible. If not why would there be the Tsubaki Shrine in California? Besides that, being Shinto, or of any faith really is a matter of perception and beliefe is it not? Chrisitanity orginated in the middle east, Judaism in Israel, Buddhism in India, yet you find those faiths all over the world do you not? Perhaps one day those of us following the Kami no Michi will be able to visit Japan and see where our ebliefs were given birth, maybe not. Who knows? Life is a road, we just have to follow it, and pray we don't crash our car on the way.

            ~ Moon LaFleur

            shrinesmaiden <shrinesmaiden@...> wrote:
            --- In shintothenaturalreligion@yahoogroups.com, "Rhistel Eveningfall"
            <rhisteleveningfall@g...> wrote:

            > My name is Joel, and I have been in search of my spiritual path for a
            > good long while. I have recently been trying to research things about
            > Shinto, because it has interested my quite a bit. My main question is
            > it possible for Americans to be Shinto?
            >
            > Joel

            I was curious about the same thing. I'm very interested in the Shinto
            views and beliefs. What I feel is that even though Shinto is a Japanese
            religion I've always had the belief in the kami though I'm not sure if
            it is even ok to call myself shinto. I'll probably check back on this
            board myself in hopes to see others views on the topic.

          • fallenerrant
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 4, 2005
              Hello everyone, being the newest member it looks like it's time for an intro.
              For the most part I'm just an average college student in school to become a computer
              geek. I've been wandering through the world of religions for quite some time now learning
              things here and there, but mostly just finding myself lost. I actually know nothing about
              Shinto but am interested in learning and felt like this group would be a good place to join.
            • SparrowHawk Oranus
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 4, 2005
                have you read the Kojiki?

                fallenerrant <fallenerrant@...> wrote:Hello everyone, being the newest member it looks like it's time for an intro.
                For the most part I'm just an average college student in school to become a computer
                geek. I've been wandering through the world of religions for quite some time now learning
                things here and there, but mostly just finding myself lost. I actually know nothing about
                Shinto but am interested in learning and felt like this group would be a good place to join.

                ---------------------------------

              • SparrowHawk Oranus
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 4, 2005
                  http://www.comparative-religion.com/shinto/

                  Check this out on the side is little tabs with the 3 books of shinto 3rd one has the rituals i've done some on my own with the stuff on my Feng Shui/ Qigong/ Wicca/ Dao/ Hindu / Shinto Altar (I tend to mix many aspects into my own belief system)

                  Blessed Be,
                  Sparrowhawk

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 6, 2005
                    I went to the sacred texts site that was linked to in one of the prior
                    messages and have been reading the Kojiki since then, and I'll be sure
                    to check out the site below inbetween my classes today.

                    Expect me when you see me
                    -The Errant

                    --- In shintothenaturalreligion@yahoogroups.com, SparrowHawk Oranus
                    <earthseasparrowhawk@y...> wrote:
                    > http://www.comparative-religion.com/shinto/
                    >
                    > Check this out on the side is little tabs with the 3 books of shinto
                    3rd one has the rituals i've done some on my own with the stuff on my
                    Feng Shui/ Qigong/ Wicca/ Dao/ Hindu / Shinto Altar (I tend to mix
                    many aspects into my own belief system)

                    > Blessed Be,
                    > Sparrowhawk

                  • wildrose192003
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 7, 2005
                      In the now-defunct Shinto group Kami-Wa, excerpts from the
                      Kojiki were posted pretty much every day. I don't know which version
                      it was, but it definitely was a late-19th century scholarly
                      translation. A lot of stilted language, and the parts about
                      sexuality were translated into Latin to avoid offending Victorian
                      sensibilities. Ironic when you consider all the erotica that was
                      published underground in those days . . . but that's another story.
                      Maybe that could be done here, if anyone could find a more recent
                      translation. The Kami-Wa version practically turned my brain to
                      cement!

                      Love and blessings,

                      Anna

                      --- In shintothenaturalreligion@yahoogroups.com, "fallenerrant"
                      <fallenerrant@y...> wrote:

                      > I went to the sacred texts site that was linked to in one of the
                      prior
                      > messages and have been reading the Kojiki since then, and I'll be
                      sure
                      > to check out the site below inbetween my classes today.
                      >
                      > Expect me when you see me
                      > -The Errant
                      >

                      > --- In shintothenaturalreligion@yahoogroups.com, SparrowHawk Oranus
                      > <earthseasparrowhawk@y...> wrote:
                      > > http://www.comparative-religion.com/shinto/
                      > >
                      > > Check this out on the side is little tabs with the 3 books of
                      shinto
                      > 3rd one has the rituals i've done some on my own with the stuff on
                      my
                      > Feng Shui/ Qigong/ Wicca/ Dao/ Hindu / Shinto Altar (I tend to mix
                      > many aspects into my own belief system)
                      > >

                      > > Blessed Be,
                      > > Sparrowhawk

                    • --Michael
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 9, 2005
                        Now that's a neat trick. Nowadays not too many can read Latin.

                        Yes, Victorian erotica is a study in itself. Quite a few resources out
                        there, I understand.

                        I was educated at a Catholic high school, and at the time the boys were
                        required to take Latin. The girls had the choice of French or Spanish.
                        They couldn't take Latin with us since the genders were separated --
                        girls on one side of the school, boys on the other (but we all ate
                        lunch together).

                        Most religious writings turn my brain to cement. <sigh>

                        --Michael

                        --- shintothenaturalreligion@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                        > In the now-defunct Shinto group Kami-Wa, excerpts from the
                        > Kojiki were posted pretty much every day. I don't know which version
                        > it was, but it definitely was a late-19th century scholarly
                        > translation. A lot of stilted language, and the parts about
                        > sexuality were translated into Latin to avoid offending Victorian
                        > sensibilities. Ironic when you consider all the erotica that was
                        > published underground in those days . . . but that's another story.
                        > Maybe that could be done here, if anyone could find a more recent
                        > translation. The Kami-Wa version practically turned my brain to
                        > cement!
                        >
                        > Love and blessings,
                        >
                        > Anna

                        __________________________________
                        Yahoo! Music Unlimited
                        http://music.yahoo.com/unlimited/
                      • marlajofitz
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 12 3:16 PM
                          Hello all,

                          I have joined this group in hopes of gaining information for a college
                          paper I am to write. Is there any Shinto leaders here? Are there
                          meetings you attend?

                          Thank you in advance

                          Marla