Re: a message of peace

  • Doreen Kamada-Fujii
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 10, 2004
      --- In shinlist@yahoogroups.com, Shaku Kyobo <kyobo@a...> wrote:
      > > Although I doubt this troll will return to read these comments, I
      > > would like to point out (anyway)
      >
      > Hello,
      >
      > I am curious as to why a message of peace would refer to another
      human being,
      > however bothersome, as a troll?

      "Troll" is a common messageboard term for someone who posts something
      controversial/off-topic, oftentimes in order to stir up
      controversy...in other words, a spammer.

      I'm sure that's what DAC meant by using this, and I'd have to agree
      with his assessment of this poster. My guess is that s/he probably
      posted this same message to every religious/spiritual group list on
      Yahoogroups =/

      I share DAC's dismay at this type of post here, as well as others in
      the recent past which seemed more intended to convince the members
      here that what the _poster_ declares is "right" spiritually is what
      WE 'should' be following. Um, no: the members of this list are here
      because of our common interest/belief in Jodo Shinshu, and are not
      here to be persuaded nor led to what some other poster has decided
      is 'right'. This sort of spam is not appreciated at all; I know I am
      disappointed when I look at the list, find that there are new
      posts!...and then find something posted that is so off-topic as this,
      posted with no thought as to what this group is actually about.

      If I sound harsh or judgemental, then I apologize. Namuamidabutsu...

      gassho,
      Doreen/Shaku ni Myo Jun
    • Shaku Kyobo
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 10, 2004
        > "Troll" is a common messageboard term for someone who posts
        > something controversial/off-topic, oftentimes in order to stir up
        > controversy...in other words, a spammer.

        Ah, thank you. I wasn't aware of this particular meaning of the word. In
        another world the word troll means someone you find ugly, someone you wouldn't
        want to date, someone you are in dread fear of becoming in your older age!

        Peter

        http://kyobo.blogspot.com/
      • Shaku Kyobo
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 10, 2004
          Hello all,

          Are there any Shin Buddhists in the Upper South (Kentucky, Tennessee, West
          Virginia) or nearby Ohio or Indiana?

          I'm kind of isolated here in the Bluegrass.

          Peter
        • DAC Crowell
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 10, 2004
            wrote:
            > > "Troll" is a common messageboard term for someone who
            posts
            > > something controversial/off-topic, oftentimes in order to stir
            up
            > > controversy...in other words, a spammer.
            >
            > Ah, thank you. I wasn't aware of this particular meaning of the
            word. In
            > another world the word troll means someone you find ugly,
            someone you wouldn't
            > want to date, someone you are in dread fear of becoming in
            your older age!

            And it also refers to the process of moving around very slowly
            while fishing, dragging a lure. This is where the 'technical term'
            troll emerged from. It gets applied to people going on these
            sorts of 'spammer fishing expeditions' by dropping their
            business on any group they think might even be vaguely or
            remotely related to whatever they're about. In short, they're
            trolling, and they expect us to 'bite'.

            Shaku Kyomei Ho / DAC Crowell
          • DAC Crowell
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 10, 2004
              wrote:
              > Hello all,
              >
              > Are there any Shin Buddhists in the Upper South (Kentucky,
              Tennessee, West
              > Virginia) or nearby Ohio or Indiana?
              >
              > I'm kind of isolated here in the Bluegrass.

              Doreen and I know of a friend of ours up near Cincy who's
              converted. But probably more in the direction you're looking for
              would be the Columbus Sangha...which is a sangha group that's
              pretty much the closest to that area. Not sure of their schedule of
              meetings, etc, but you can contact them and get more details, I'm
              sure. Contact info:

              Columbus Buddhist Sangha
              356 E. Tompkins Street
              Columbus, OH 43202
              (614) 263-3944 -- Marjorie Ota

              Shaku Kyomei Ho / DAC Crowell
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 10, 2004
                In a message dated 3/10/04 11:45:25 AM, dacc@... writes:

                << Much as I would hate to see it, I'm beginning to wonder if this list

                might be better served by using a 'join by communication with

                moderator' method such as what ShintoML uses. >>

                Hi, Crowell,

                I would also hate to see this list become moderated in that sense. It seems
                that when that happens, the moderator is invested with a perhaps illusory sense
                of power which creates inequity among the members. Just a thought. We can
                withstand the occasional troll. They don't come here often at all, do they?
                (Shaku Egen)
              • Rob Findlay
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 10, 2004
                  As someone who's been an e-list admin more then once, I can say what might
                  work in this context. We did this at the Utah Independent Media Center.
                  Basically "everyone", at least everyone thats been around for a couple
                  weeks is given admin rights. That way we're all equal, but it lets us
                  "filter" out the spam.

                  Now that said. If we get one message like the above a month, ummm we
                  should just live with it and call it good.

                  One thing to note. That "spam" sure got lots of you sleepy heads posting!
                  hahah.

                  .:With Palms - Togther, Rob:.

                  > In a message dated 3/10/04 11:45:25 AM, dacc@... writes:
                  >
                  > << Much as I would hate to see it, I'm beginning to wonder if this
                  > list
                  >
                  > might be better served by using a 'join by communication with
                  >
                  > moderator' method such as what ShintoML uses. >>
                  >
                  > Hi, Crowell,
                  >
                  > I would also hate to see this list become moderated in that sense. It
                  > seems that when that happens, the moderator is invested with a perhaps
                  > illusory sense of power which creates inequity among the members. Just
                  > a thought. We can withstand the occasional troll. They don't come here
                  > often at all, do they? gassho,
                  > Rick
                  > (Shaku Egen)
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  > Click Here

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links
                  >
                  > To visit your group on the web, go
                  > to:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/shinlist/  To unsubscribe from

                  Rob Findlay
                  Homepage | http://robfindlay.org
                  Blog | http://anarchyxero.robfindlay.org/
                  --
                  "For every dollar the boss has and didn't work for, one of us worked for a
                  dollar and didn't get it."
                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 10, 2004
                    --- In shinlist@yahoogroups.com, Shin02143@a... wrote:
                    > We can withstand the occasional troll. They don't come here often at
                    > all, do they?

                    Well, on the one hand there's the post just before this one...but
                    that's just out-n-out spamming and dumping garbage into the files
                    section of the group. Typical Yahoogroups stuff.

                    As for the other...I suppose some of it is a holdover from having
                    grown up in the Southern US. Down there, proselytizing was almost a
                    contact sport, and pretty much any form of it grates on me even to
                    this day. Including the non-Christian variety, although I will admit
                    that the Christians (the far-right variety, most notably) are still
                    the best/worst at this. Last year at Ginza, our temple festival, we
                    had someone show up and give us the "you are all deluded people under
                    the influence of Satan and you're going to hell" routine. In the
                    hondo, too; this happened to the person who was minding it at the time
                    for visitors, answering questions, etc.

                    Granted, yes, I know it's pure unadulterated crap...but, well, it's
                    just RUDE. It doesn't shake my faith in Amida's infinite wisdom and
                    compassion any, but it strikes me as being skin to the spiritual
                    equivalent of having someone drop by your house and pee on the rugs.

                    One of the real plusses for me, that was a convincing point in my
                    conversion to Shin Buddhism, was the fact that that's something we
                    don't do. That's the way it should be for all religions, I think, to
                    leave such matters up to the individual...but some people have other
                    ideas.

                    Shaku Kyomei Ho / DAC Crowell
                  • Rob Findlay
                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 10, 2004
                      Well we could always move over here...

                      http://groups.msn.com/JodoShinshuHonganjiha/messageboard.msnw

                      Just fouund it.

                      Rob

                      DAC Crowell said:

                      > --- In shinlist@yahoogroups.com, Shin02143@a... wrote:
                      > > We can withstand the occasional troll. They don't come here often
                      > at > all, do they?
                      >
                      > Well, on the one hand there's the post just before this one...but
                      > that's just out-n-out spamming and dumping garbage into the files
                      > section of the group. Typical Yahoogroups stuff.
                      >
                      > As for the other...I suppose some of it is a holdover from having
                      > grown up in the Southern US. Down there, proselytizing was almost a
                      > contact sport, and pretty much any form of it grates on me even to this
                      > day. Including the non-Christian variety, although I will admit that the
                      > Christians (the far-right variety, most notably) are still the
                      > best/worst at this. Last year at Ginza, our temple festival, we had
                      > someone show up and give us the "you are all deluded people under
                      > the influence of Satan and you're going to hell" routine. In the
                      > hondo, too; this happened to the person who was minding it at the time
                      > for visitors, answering questions, etc.
                      >
                      > Granted, yes, I know it's pure unadulterated crap...but, well, it's just
                      > RUDE. It doesn't shake my faith in Amida's infinite wisdom and
                      > compassion any, but it strikes me as being skin to the spiritual
                      > equivalent of having someone drop by your house and pee on the rugs.
                      >
                      > One of the real plusses for me, that was a convincing point in my
                      > conversion to Shin Buddhism, was the fact that that's something we don't
                      > do. That's the way it should be for all religions, I think, to leave
                      > such matters up to the individual...but some people have other ideas.
                      >
                      > Shaku Kyomei Ho / DAC Crowell
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links
                      >
                      > To visit your group on the web, go
                      > to:http://groups.yahoo.com/group/shinlist/  To unsubscribe from