Seeking Monastic Ordination in the Sangha

  • macdocaz1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2004
      Hello, my name is Jeff Brooks. I live in the USA and I have been a lay
      follower of the Buddha for 30 years. In the duration of these three decades I have
      practiced meditation (Satipatthana) at least twice a day, as well as studied
      dhamma and reflected upon it almost daily, and I have endeavored to keep the 5
      lifetime precepts.

      I have observed the 8 precepts for 4 years now, and I now sit three times a
      day for at least an hour each time. I dedicate every waking moment to the
      benefit of all beings through teaching meditation (samadhi), wisdom (panna) and
      ethics (sila).

      As a consequence of the decades of my practice regimen I have given rise to a
      pleasant abiding in the here and now (jhana/dhyana). My meditations are
      exceedingly pleasant, and I do not lose awareness when the body sleeps. Through
      my practice the hindrances have been subdued, so I am not compelled to pursue
      obsessive and compulsive behaviors that are driven by greed, ignorance,
      delusion, doubt, grasping and aversion that are the manifestation of narcissism, thus
      I lead an ethical life, and am thus a good role model.

      I am now 50 years old. My last child is now grown and about to leave home,
      as he is fully independent. I am no longer married. My parents and my
      children have given their permission for me to seek ordination, therefore I would
      like to ordain and spend the remainder of this lifetime as a monastic follower of
      the Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha, teaching and counseling students in what I
      have come to embody, which is meditation (samadhi), wisdom (panna) and ethics
      (sila).

      Please tell me if you are able to offer such a one as myself an ordination
      program, or you know of one.

      Kindest regards,

      Jeff Brooks
    • Richard St. Clair
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2004
        Jeff,

        It is hard to advise you, asyou have not indicated which branch
        or 'sect' of Buddhism you prefer. However, this list is for Shin
        Buddhism, and there is no monastic tradition in our sect. We do
        have ordained ministers, however, if that is of any interest to you.
        But the emphasis in Shin is not on following the precepts per se but
        rather on entrusting in the Primal Vow of Amida Buddha and
        living the transformative Nembutsu way as it becomes manifest in our
        individual lives.

        good luck and gassho,
        Shaku Egen
        (Rick S.)