Re: New Member, Just in

  • DAC Crowell
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 6, 2004
      --- In shinlist@yahoogroups.com, "lotusaware"
      <lotusaware@y...> wrote:
      > I am looking forward to sharing, though I
      > find some of the responses to question rather intimidating. I
      would
      > think that compassion for anyone who asks a question would
      result in
      > a sincere answer rather then an officious reaction. I have
      learned
      > that mostly people ask questions because they simply want to
      know the
      > answer because that is where they are at the time. It makes a
      step of
      > some kind for them and may well be a bridge to a clearer
      awareness
      > later.

      Well, keep in mind that some of this is the semi-regrettable
      nature of the Internet at 'work'. Sometimes communication isn't
      clear, or it gets 'colored' wrong, or the like. Plus, there's also
      been a little trouble in the past few weeks here with 'trollers' out
      to self-aggrandize or brew up a stink, which I think probably has
      upped the snarkiness quotient more than a little.

      If you have a question that really speaks to you as something
      needing answering, then it's likely that it's the sort of question
      that will be welcomed here. So by all means, please feel free to
      ask and discuss! And sure, there will likely be strong opinions at
      times, but that's something that sort of goes with the turf. Simply
      look past the failings of the average people that we all are and
      find the bits of gold within the rubble, to take a cue from one of
      Dr. Unno's recent book titles. That's where the good stuff is.

      Namuamidabutsu,
      Shaku Kyomei Hou DAC.
    • lotusaware
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 12, 2004
        Thanks all for your suggestions. Surprise the Temple I attend
        suddenly began bringing in books from BCA and one of them was the
        Collected Works of Shinran which I was able to purchase for $40. The
        second volume is very helpful in a number of ways, including much
        background material on the history of Shinran and the writings.
        Volume 1 includes amazing insights especially in the "Notes on
        the "Essentials of Faith Alone".

        Two things I have already gleaned from the material:
        1. Amida is the archetype of the Compassion of all the Buddhas who
        make the Primal Vow and are manifestations of Amida, especially and
        in particular Avalokitesvara and Mahathasprapta, who themselves with
        Amida manifest as countless Buddhas.
        2. Shinran in several places clearly identifies the "Land of Bliss",
        the "Pure Land" with Nirvana, and sees the Pure Land as a place to
        which one goes and from which one comes.

        The implication of this is profound. When we give up "self-power"
        to "Other-Power" we become the Great Compassion and enter the Vow,
        thus our Going Forth from the Pure Land is now an act of Amida!

        Existence moves to Nirvana in which we, just as we are, are
        transformed into the Infinite Light and Life which shines in the
        84,000 directions.

        The discussion on "Once-Calling and Many-Calling" is also most
        interesting. I am still trying to absorb that.

        It is clear from these books and the supporting material that Shinran
        was an amazing man who was deeply knowledgeable and studied in all
        the traditions. He draws on the Seven Teachers in the lineage and we
        don't see or hear enough about their contributions to the Dharma and
        to Jodo Shinshu.

        If one can't afford the books themselves, virtually all of Volume 1
        is available at www.shinranworks.com

        Also T. Unno's latest edition of the translation of the TANNISHO has
        much useful material added, very worthwhile "deep reading".

        Gassho,
        lotusaware