Intro

  • maris_arvid
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2004
      Hi,
      Iam new member of this group.I am interested in
      spirituality,religion,mysticism,gnosis,alchemy,psychology-
      Jung,Frankl,Assagioli,philosophy.I would like to explore the
      teachings of Pure Land .I studied many websites on the teachings of
      Pure Land but I am beginnner with many questions.
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2004
        In a message dated 1/2/04 7:19:44 PM, maris_arvid@... writes:

        << Hi,

        Iam new member of this group.I am interested in

        spirituality,religion,mysticism,gnosis,alchemy,psychology-

        Jung,Frankl,Assagioli,philosophy.I would like to explore the

        teachings of Pure Land .I studied many websites on the teachings of

        Pure Land but I am beginnner with many questions. >>

        Hello (is your name Maris?),

        I think this would be a good place for you to look into Shin Buddhism
        but Shin is not based upon superstition or magic. In fact, our
        founder, Shinran, specifically rejected such practices (including
        astrology) as irrelevant to our spiritual lives and in fact as a
        real impediment to Buddhist spirituality. So don't expect a lot of
        support for those other interests of yours on this list.
        (Shaku Egen)
      • Mark Rasmus
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 4, 2004
          Hello,
          I live in Japan and visited a shin Buddhist temple in Kagoshima
          today. After sitting in on one of their ceremonies I managed to get
          one of the monks to chat to me, well sort of chat, he could not speak
          english, I cant speak japanese. Anyway he order a guide book to shin
          buddhism for me in english.
          So I am here to learn about the system. Can anyone recomend any good
          links or ebooks for me to read up before my next visit to the temple?
          Look forward to some interesting discussions.
          Mark
        • David Salyers
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 5, 2004
            Hi Mark,

            Here are some links on Shin Buddhism (Jodo Shinshu) that I
            particularly found to be useful.

            http://www.livingdharma.org/

            http://www.shindharmanet.com

            http://www.nembutsu.info/index.htm

            http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/index.php? (the E-Sangha Community
            Forums)

            David

            --- In shinlist@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Rasmus" <markrasmus@y...>
            wrote:
            > So I am here to learn about the system. Can anyone recomend any
            good
            > links or ebooks for me to read up before my next visit to the
            temple?
            > Look forward to some interesting discussions.
            > Mark
          • D K F
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 5, 2004
              Welcome to all the recent newcomers to the list :)

              Sites I've recommended and found useful regarding Jodo Shinshu:

              http://www.acornfamilysangha.org/JODO-SHINSHU_BUDDHISM_PRIM.html An
              outline of the book "Ocean" by Rev. Ken Tanaka

              http://www.nembutsu.info/

              http://www.shindharmanet.com/

              http://www.buddhistinformation.com/pureland/what_is_shin_buddhism.htm

              http://www.shinranworks.com/